What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery versus power

jmschnur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I leave the iPad p
Urged into power for a long times, will my battery be ok? I am trying not to have so many charges that the battery will degrade. What I mean is, is it ok to use the iPad on power for hours and if so will that have no effect on the long term life of the battery?

J

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are not helping your battery, since the iPad will only use battery power. It does not run on mains electricity when it is plugged in.

You will not damage it, however. The circuitry inside the iPad will shut down charging when the battery is fully charged.

All you are really doing is inconveniencing yourself by turning a portable machine into a fixed one.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello JMS.... - there is a lot of over-concern about the iPad battery - these are advanced and mature technologies - check HERE for some basic information; this article has many suggestions as to preserving battery power; about the only recommendation is to 'run down' the battery about once a month; whether you leave the battery plugged in or not likely makes little difference, especially if you are in a 'mind set' to replace the iPad every couple of years - :)

OP
J

jmschnur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was hoping by leaving it plugged in when I was using it in one room, that I would not need to recharge it as much. Less charging leads to longer lifetime; takes longer to reach the 1000 limit? I would like to keep my iPad 2 for a number of years.

J

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmschnur said:
I was hoping by leaving it plugged in when I was using it in one room, that I would not need to recharge it as much. Less charging leads to longer lifetime; takes longer to reach the 1000 limit? I would like to keep my iPad 2 for a number of years.

J

No, unfortunately that's not the way it works. The only thing that will really kill your battery is leaving it discharged for a long time.
But if you are using the iPad you are running off battery whether it is plugged in or not. The only thing that happens when you are plugged in is it will have many micro charges which will add up to one full cycle in the same time it would if you had used it unplugged.

Most reactions

Latest posts