What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery in IOS 4.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatealex2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone find the battery drains much faster with the new ios?

I'm really enjoying the upgrade aside for the battery seemingly draining at a much faster rate.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't seen that on my end. Seems about the same. I put 3-4 hours on it each day.

Spinonedad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Battery drain

Yes, The battery drains much faster with 4.2
You have to make sure you close the apps when it's in sleep mode and after you have used it for awhile

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not at all. When you install 4.2.1 the brightness is automatically set at 50% set it lower and you will be back to normal. I have never had it higher then 0 and I tend to get about 15 hours.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any difference with the upgrade. I have been using my iPad heavily to try out different apps with th upgrade and I still go two days before needing to charge. I also spent several hours watching Netflix and didn't see an appreciable drop in the battery. As suggested, you may want to check that your settings were not effected by the upgrade.

moosepoet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded to 4.2 two days ago and noticed the battery drain issue almost immediately. I've lowered the brightness and made an effort to close all background apps I'm not using, but it still sucks power. With 3.2 I could go all day with WiFi on and fairly regular use and end with 40-50%; the last two days, with less use (holiday travel & family time), I've ended with 20-30%.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, The battery drains much faster with 4.2
You have to make sure you close the apps when it's in sleep mode and after you have used it for awhile

I do not agree about the above. We have conducted tests on the iPad and have had no noticable changes between both operating systems even with many apps in still active in lower panel Make sure your brightness level is correct also keep in mind mail push should be off unless you really need it. I leave my iPad on at night and on charge and nothing has change in daytime use. I have several friends whom tested the batteries with similar results. Only one person found battery life dropped because he had a gps app active -another uses push mail but again even though battery life was 2 hours less this was the same prior to upgrade to 4.2. It would be nice if all apps would shut down when iPad is off but i am unsure at this time if that happens maybe a developer can advise on that one.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a FULL 10 hour day of 3G browsing and general stuff yesterday with 4.2.1. I was doing some really boring long-term testing at work. The test had to be observed, but not really that much to do otherwise.

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Under the new 4.2.1 my iPad battery drains faster.

Actually that's a completely wrong statement. I myself have been testing this with my iPad as well as my iPod Touch 4g and battery life has not been affected.

My wife also has a iPad and iPod Touch 4g and she never closes out the apps and again, no change in battery life.

This is under heavy use for both of them (I stream pandora to the touch) and I watch Netflix and read on the other).

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would someone please post an actual bench testing results as everyone is stating subjective responses.
Fact or fictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts