What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery draining 1%/hr after Spirit Jailbreak

suprablitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, im Ben from Australia, nice to meet you all.

I've purchased a 64gb3g about a month ago and after jailbreaking the iPad with Spirit, I noticed a degrade in battery performance. If I were to charge the iPad to 100% and pull the plug out before I sleep, the iPad battery would drop to 93% the next morning.

I initially thought it was something I installed via cydia that was constantly running in the background eating up my battery like sbsettings/winterboard etc.

So I did a full DFU restore without restoring any backups, a whole clean slate and tested again. After a full charge before bedtime, the iPad was still sitting at 99% the next morning 'even with Fetch for Mail set up hourly'.

The following night, all I did was jailbreak with Spirit and installed Cydia, no apps or anything else was installed. Again, the battery dropped to 94% overnight. The iPad was restored with os3.2 with no backups restored and only jailbroken with Cydia installed, nothing else. Bluetooth/Location services were all off. Email fetch for Mail was set up hourly.

The battery on my iPad will continually drop throughout the day at a rate of approx 1%/hr after jailbreaking the device. (When not in use, sleep mode).

Are any of you experiencing the same problem, is this the norm for a jailbroken iPad? Any advise would be great, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You can expect slight battery decrease with jailbreaking.

1% per hour seems about right, adds up to 100 hours.

By around 4:00PM my iPad is down to about 32% left. Thats 10 hours after removing from the power plug in the morning and the iPad is rated to have about 9 hour battery life, 8 and a half if its a 3G model.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if its 3G its just the radio thats draining it....if I don't use mine for a day it doesn't change...but its wifi only.

OP
S

suprablitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3G radio itself does not drain the battery of 1%/HOUR (Sleep mode). When I restored the iPad and didn't jailbreak it, the battery was normal.

Anyone else who has jailbroken their iPad with Spirit noticed a dramatic decrease in battery life?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I disabled SSH, which I read was a problem with jailbreaking/battery life, and since, have not had any issues.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I disabled SSH, which I read was a problem with jailbreaking/battery life, and since, have not had any issues.

Yes SSH drains the battery rather quickly but he said he didnt install anything after the jailbreak.

suprablitz Jailbreaking can cause these battery drain issues. Either you accept the shorter battery life or dont jailbreak and restore it back to normal.

OP
S

suprablitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm more than happy to accept the shorter battery life in exchange for the benifits of jailbreaking. But I was just wondering if this was normal and all the Spirit jailbreakers were in the same boat, that's all. Thanks guys for your input!

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes SSH drains the battery rather quickly but he said he didnt install anything after the jailbreak.

suprablitz Jailbreaking can cause these battery drain issues. Either you accept the shorter battery life or dont jailbreak and restore it back to normal.
Yeah but I didn't manually install SSH. It was installed with something else I installed like Rock or Cydia, I think. I certainly didn't purposely download it. I forget how I even disabled it because I didn't install it.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
SSH doesnt get installed with cydia but some other apps require it.

You can install an SBSettings ON/Off switch for SSH. SSH automatically is turned on after each reboot. SBSettings makes it simple to turn back off.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It must have been something else then. Either way I deleted it completely...any chance you can refresh my memory of how I did that? Did I just go into Cydia and manage?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
It must have been something else then. Either way I deleted it completely...any chance you can refresh my memory of how I did that? Did I just go into Cydia and manage?

yeah you can go into cydia under manage and remove anything thats installed.

same with Rock App.

I like how rock app also shows what apps depend on each program and will be removed if you delete one of them.

gouletjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious. Is it normal for the battery to decreased when I don't use my iPad ?

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes . . . and every other electronic device.
It should not be a heavy drain, but yes.

You might notice on some phones, etc., specs, that it will say something like :
'7 days battery - - 5 hour talk time.'
meaning charge will last for a week, or 5 hours of use, whichever comes first.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Of course it will drian if it's not completely tuned off. Your just turning off the screen. Tht why it turns back on instantly.

Most reactions

Latest posts