What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Depletion Rate.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My 1st gen IPad (WiFi, 32GB), doesn't get even close to the stated 10hrs of battery life. I have followed the recommended guidelines of waiting until battery is fully depleted, before charging, but still get no more than about five hours of usage from my unit. I don't believe I have had this thing for a full month yet, but long enough (I think) for the battery to have developed a healthy charging cycle.

I would also like to add that I am not into movies, or other media files being played on my iPad. The most I do on it is surf the web, and handle my emailings. Shouldn't the battery last longer than what I am getting from it, especially with the manner in which I use it?

I would like to know how others are maki out with their battery consumption issues.

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With mixed usage, and a few breaks my battery has lasted me the whole day. Some browsing, emails, twitter, even movies.. If you don't feel like you are getting 10hrs, you should have Apple replace it. They will do it with no problems. The average normal user should at least see the battery last close to two days with normal usage.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, that's strange. My iPad actually gets longer thn the 10hrs. Stated and I haven't even did a full battery discharge yet. I've had my iPad since last July. Something is causing ur iPad to drain the battery faster. Especially since u said u don't use media too much or anything. I'd check my settings to see what the culprit is. One possible thing u could have is that your email is set to Push notifications. Meaning that as soon as email arrives, iPad pushes it to ur mailbox. If u have that setting set on an often increment, then that can drain the battery a lot faster. Does sound weird though as u say ur iPad gets no where near the 10hrs. I would take it back if nothing can be figured out for it. U may have a faulty battery. Keep pressing the issue to the apple store. They might try to give u the runaround. U only had it a month so that's covered under warranty. I'd first check the settings to see u don't have stuff on that doesn't need to be. Like maybe unaccidentally cut on Bluetooth or something or u have ur email push notifications set to the fastest increments. I have mines set on manual or fetch. So that when I open the email box up, it will then check for new emails. Makes battery last longer. Good luck!

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Hmm, that's strange. My iPad actually gets longer thn the 10hrs. Stated and I haven't even did a full battery discharge yet. I've had my iPad since last July. Something is causing ur iPad to drain the battery faster. Especially since u said u don't use media too much or anything. I'd check my settings to see what the culprit is. One possible thing u could have is that your email is set to Push notifications. Meaning that as soon as email arrives, iPad pushes it to ur mailbox. If u have that setting set on an often increment, then that can drain the battery a lot faster. Does sound weird though as u say ur iPad gets no where near the 10hrs. I would take it back if nothing can be figured out for it. U may have a faulty battery. Keep pressing the issue to the apple store. They might try to give u the runaround. U only had it a month so that's covered under warranty. I'd first check the settings to see u don't have stuff on that doesn't need to be. Like maybe unaccidentally cut on Bluetooth or something or u have ur email push notifications set to the fastest increments. I have mines set on manual or fetch. So that when I open the email box up, it will then check for new emails. Makes battery last longer. Good luck!

With everything on you should be able to get the stated battery life. I have everything on, push emails, push calendars, location services and so on. Nothing cuts the battery life in half. He should just take it to Apple if the change in battery life is that drastic.

g3org3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also multitasking close all multitasking apps it causes power drain.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:

With everything on you should be able to get the stated battery life. I have everything on, push emails, push calendars, location services and so on. Nothing cuts the battery life in half. He should just take it to Apple if the change in battery life is that drastic.

Good point, was just throwing various things out there to check. The op's best option would be to return it and get another one. Should be an easy swap. I have been very impressed with the iPad's battery life.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With mixed usage, and a few breaks my battery has lasted me the whole day. Some browsing, emails, twitter, even movies.. If you don't feel like you are getting 10hrs, you should have Apple replace it. They will do it with no problems. The average normal user should at least see the battery last close to two days with normal usage.

Wow, then I may certainly have to make a trip to the Apple store. TWO DAYS with normal usage? I'd have never thunk it (lol).

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
g3org3 said:
Also multitasking close all multitasking apps it causes power drain.

Apple manages multitasking where it minimizes battery drain, we shouldn't have to ever close out apps unless and app is acting up.

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NLAlston said:
Wow, then I may certainly have to make a trip to the Apple store. TWO DAYS with normal usage? I'd have never thunk it (lol).

Yeah the iPads battery life is very impressive, if you aren't impressed then there is definitely something wrong.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NLAlston said:

Two days' worth of usage on a full charge is also quite normal for me. On a full charge on Fri evening and a whole weekend's use, it'd still be holding 10-15% charge by Sunday night.

ByHisStripes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't been too impressed with the battery life in mine, but then again, I have been running streaming audio (TuneIn radio and MLB At Bat 2011) quite a bit.

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The battery is my favorite feature of the iPad. After a year of making sure I always had a power source nearby to recharge my Droid (which has terrible battery life), it's been so refreshing to have a machine that I can actually use without running out of juice.

I use the heck out of mine. Netflix, Slingbox, streaming audio, Kindle and I still have 20% or so at the end of the day. You should go to Apple and see what they can do.

Most reactions

Latest posts