What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Backlight Problem"

Mei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All-

So I know a lot of people are having issues with backlight bleeding.

I got mine delivered yesterday afternoon, and finally got around to playing with it late last night. I was in my bed, with the lights off, and the backlight issue was very apparent. After I downloaded the Netflix app and started browsing movies, it started to bother me. I am having a hard time figuring out what is normal and what is not. It seems as if most of the edges are affected. There is maybe a two inch section that looks like what the rest is supposed to, I think. :D I have attached a picture. It took me a while to finally get a picture that looked like what I actually see. This is at about 65% brightness, I'd say..

I read somewhere that if you "wait for the glue to dry" it is supposed to improve some. Now has anyone's iPad that had that problem actually gotten better?

Edit: And I will add, I am not really planning on returning it or anything, I was just curious about others' experiences.

Attachments

• DSC01624.JPG
    DSC01624.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:

bigstar81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have minimal backlight bleeding but it is only visable in a dark room with the brightness setting set high on a dark screen. I plan on keeping mine at this time. Maybe it is just glue not yet dried. Spoke with Target customer rep last evening and I have 90 days to return with questions and swap for a new one. Alot of people have gone through multiple units with this problem.

treker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have some slight bleeding caused by the LED backlighting at the HOME button side when BRIGHTNESS is set to 100% and viewing a black screen in a dark room. It gradually fades away to almost nothing at around 40%. I actually prefer that lowered setting. Anything higher than 50-60% makes it too intensively bright for me indoors and particularly at night under artificial incandescent lighting.

Some of my previous handheld items like a Palm exhibited this same effect, even worse. My Sony 52in LCD TV has some backlight bleeding around the edges. Seems like the nature of the beast.

KneeDragr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a WiFi or 3G version? The reason I ask, is because according to Engaget, the 3G uses a different screen vendor and has higher brightness and contrast ( 400nits vs 350 nits ). Its possible there is a fit issue with one vendor, or its possible that all devices have this problem, but its more apparent on the 3G with its higher brightness.

Maybe a poll would help get to the bottom of it...

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a WiFi or 3G version? The reason I ask, is because according to Engaget, the 3G uses a different screen vendor and has higher brightness and contrast ( 400nits vs 350 nits ). Its possible there is a fit issue with one vendor, or its possible that all devices have this problem, but its more apparent on the 3G with its higher brightness.

Maybe a poll would help get to the bottom of it...

Thats what i thought second after hearing about the issue, never said something about it cause i dont got the IPad2 yet.

I also think that the 3G is made diffrent than the WiFi (of course it is) in a way that some 3G hardware just pushes to the bottom and top, cause its a thick part, nearly as thick as the Ipad 2 is, and its damn thin, we all know. Maybe that part just pushes that hard that the sealing cant stand more or less, causing just a small brightness through the seal.

Swede1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All-

So I know a lot of people are having issues with backlight bleeding.

I got mine delivered yesterday afternoon, and finally got around to playing with it late last night. I was in my bed, with the lights off, and the backlight issue was very apparent. After I downloaded the Netflix app and started browsing movies, it started to bother me. I am having a hard time figuring out what is normal and what is not. It seems as if most of the edges are affected. There is maybe a two inch section that looks like what the rest is supposed to, I think. :D I have attached a picture. It took me a while to finally get a picture that looked like what I actually see. This is at about 65% brightness, I'd say..

I read somewhere that if you "wait for the glue to dry" it is supposed to improve some. Now has anyone's iPad that had that problem actually gotten better?

Edit: And I will add, I am not really planning on returning it or anything, I was just curious about others' experiences.

I got the 32Gb wifi and I have some bleeding in a few spots on mine too, the funny thing is that I didn't notice it until I read about it :) not too long ago I got a new 23" monitor for my computer and on that one I could see it right away but didn't think much of it,,maybe because it was only like 200 bucks, but if you spend 600 bucks you would expect more I guess,, oh well, I'm not going to stress about it,, since you can only see it on really dark images or backgrounds it doesn't really matter, and most of the time you look more at the center of the screen anyhow so I don't think it's worth loosing sleep over,,:)

Most reactions