What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backing Up iPad

bertair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess this same question applies to iPad 1st & 2nd Gen, but I am looking for an App or attachment that will allow me to play my videos and music files that I have stored on a External Hard Drive.
Generally up until now, I have used my Mac Book Pro for work and had the HD for my "Entertainment" Files. I like to keep my entertainment separate from my work files.
As the iPad is so convenient and light, I am tending to use it on my travels more than ever.
At night in my down, time I like to watch a movie or TV show of my choosing in my own time. So I have found with my iPad, the lack of a USB capability is just about the only one of my gripes I have with it.
I know some may say, wait until Cloud arrives, but it is out of the question to use a 3 G network or even find wi fi at some of the places I go.
I tried have a Camera Attachment without success.
It may be a little ambitious, but how can I save You Tube and Flash files to my MBP, to then shift to the iPad using the App AV Player HD ?(A Marvellous App BTW)
Does any Geniuii out there have any clues for me please ?

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I use the 500gb GoFlex Satellite External Wi-Fi Hard Drive to store my movies, TV Shows, and Photos. You can take it anywhere. It emits a Wi-Fi signal that you can connect to with your iPad using the GoFlex app (free) to watch your movies or TV shows on. It is a little pricey but worth every penny as I travel and can carry my entire movie library with me when I do. It is by far one of the most convenient accessories I've purchased for my iPad.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
I use the 500gb GoFlex Satellite External Wi-Fi Hard Drive to store my movies, TV Shows, and Photos. You can take it anywhere. It emits a Wi-Fi signal that you can connect to with your iPad using the GoFlex app (free) to watch your movies or TV shows on. It is a little pricey but worth every penny as I travel and can carry my entire movie library with me when I do. It is by far one of the most convenient accessories I've purchased for my iPad.

I have my eye on that one but am waiting either for the price to drop (suspect that it will be a while) or for things to evolve with either iCloud or more competition. As far as I know, the GoFlex is the only game in town. Thanks for the upbeat review.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So this thing actually increases the memory of your device by allowing you to store lots of things on it that would otherwise hog your iPad memory, correct? I don't suppose you can put apps on it though.

Jbembenek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may want to look at the Airstash (http://www.airstash.com/). I do not have this but have been researching it. Much more affordable but not as much storage as Goflex. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has any experience with this one.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
So this thing actually increases the memory of your device by allowing you to store lots of things on it that would otherwise hog your iPad memory, correct? I don't suppose you can put apps on it though.

Yes, by eliminating movies and TV shows from my iPad and loading them onto the GoFlex drive I save over 16gb of space on my 64gb iPad1. Apps cannot be used from the GoFlex hard drive.

Most reactions