What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto synching to Google

Sasha5113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is one of those "It's not a bug, it's a feature," deals, but I'm trying to separate my Notes from my Google mail account. I thought I was right bright when I turned off Settings>Mail>GMailxxx>Notes, but managed to erase all 11 of them. I reconstructed some, but now know a) not to turn off the setting, and b) not to delete anything in All Mail with "Notes" appended to it ... Visible, of course, only when I'm on my Mac.

Oh, and why does it save a copy of EVERY change I make, filling All Mail to the brim?

A little guidance from my youngers and betters?

typed on my iPad 2, lovingly called Scotty (beam me up)

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All I can say is, "You're not alone". I've been struggling to clean up the whole "notes and G-mail" thing, but haven't got a good system down yet.

In Settings, you can set Notes default to iPad, and they're not duplicated in you're mail account...until you sync. You do need to be careful of what you delete in mail. As you found out. I'm still playing with this, I'm thinking that the notes "defaulted" to iPad, will stay there. I'll have to set up some junk notes next time I sync.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings > Notes > Default account, is where I'm looking.

iPad 1, by the way.

Attachments

• image-3102643636.png
    image-3102643636.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 197

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just use Evernote for all but the simplest temporary notes.

I read an article in MacWorld yesterday about cleaning up GMail's folder behavior. I'd point you to it, but it's not on the site, as far as I know.

Anyway, it says to go into the Labs tab in settings and enable the Advanced IMAP Controls, be sure to save when done. When GMail restarts you can go into it's settings, the Labels tab and change some of the label behaviors, like turning off the All Mail label.

I haven't done this myself, so you're on your own, and remember the Google Labs are by definition betas that may or may not stick around. YMMV

OP
S

Sasha5113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I just use Evernote for all but the simplest temporary notes.

Probably the better solution. I'll go into the Labs section in a few and see if a miracle lies hidden. If you hear a small explosion, thaws me.

Just to keep myself honest, Jeep, this is an iPad 2, running 4.3.3; Settings>Notes does not have a "default" option.

CNN is all excited about the hacking of G's mail; I'm more hassled about getting alerts to shut off and stay shut off in Calendar ... another Googlism, I surmise.

Most reactions

Latest posts