What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto correct curiosity

jojojfl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How come every time I type the word - as - it gets auto corrected to - a's (that is, a-apostrophe-s)?? I found a hint on how to add a word to the IPad dictionary, so I added - as - to the dictionary but it still auto corrected it to - a's. I found hint #2 and added - as - to the contacts list as a name, since the hint mentioned that auto correct would accept the word as a contact. That did not work either. I am still getting auto corrected to - a's ! ! What the heck?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, autocorrect is wonderful until you get that annoying autocorrect of ordinary words. I'm now typing the word and then backspacing once and then typing again, it seems to work but you've got to be patient because if you are too fast, it might revert. I suppose like all things, it's got to learn as well. I like the word hell but it changes it to he'll because it likes it better. I'd rather have autocorrect on than off but it sure irritates the hell out of me!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 'hobby horse' is the incorrect use of its and it's - and it's so annoying that the iPad constantly wants to change its to it's, making me look like a hypocrite....

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, and I was brought up to use proper English and it's very annoying to type a post only to have to edit it because autocorrect has struck again.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's doubly annoying too is that, the case that you quoted ('hell') is a normal, proper, common word, so why does it want to auto-correct it? There's nothing wrong with it!! Even MS Word doesn't do that...

Tim

OP
J

jojojfl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate the conversation, but does anyone have an answer? Since the word 'as' is used quite frequently, it's getting rather annoying. It's almost enough to make me turn off auto correct -- but then I would lose the amusement value of some of the words it chooses!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate the conversation, but does anyone have an answer? Since the word 'as' is used quite frequently, it's getting rather annoying. It's almost enough to make me turn off auto correct -- but then I would lose the amusement value of some of the words it chooses!!

OK - sorry - we went slightly off-topic - but there is no solution other than turning off the 'auto correct'.

You've seen the 'work around' of putting 'special' words in the Contacts list, but that's about the end of it, I'm afraid..

As Hayley said, if you backspace, it shouldn't autocorrect a second time...

Tim

OP
J

jojojfl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually found it! GENERAL -->. RESET --> RESET KEYBOARD DICTIONARY. I assume if you've added special words to the dictionary, you'll have to enter them all again. All I know is that a's is finally G O N E !

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great! Unfortunately, I've used it for too long to want to start all over again. The words I use have too many uses as well but I'm glad you have lost your a's.

Most reactions

Latest posts