What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Augen 7" Android Tablet, $149 at K-Mart: iPad killer?

wuyanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Augen 7" Android Tablet, $149 at K-Mart: not an iPad killer!

9anu6a.jpg

When you thought "inexpensive" and "tablet" don't belong in the same sentence, K-Mart is about to prove you wrong. The Augen GenTouch Android tablet is hitting K-Mart shelves this weekend, according to its latest circular, for the low price of $149. You will be getting a 7" 800x480 TFT LCD screen, 800Mhz CPU, 256MB RAM, 2GB storage, WiFi connectivity, SD/MMC slot (up to 16GB) and Android 2.1 with Market capability. The rest of the specs are unknown at this time, but for $149 I would expect the CPU to be an older ARM6 or ARM11. And if that wasn't enough, the Augen GenTouch comes with a leather carrying case and AC Adapter. The GenTouch may not be as spiffy as the German WeTab or the Dell Streak, but for the price, you certainly can't go wrong! We believe this to be the first readily-available-in-the-US Android 2.1 tablet, and are extremely excited to get our paws on one soon.

2cgczte.jpg

Check out a video user review of the Auger GenTouch Tablet (cheers MrJn7)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfha5r6law0&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Anyone planning on snagging a GenTouch this weekend? Let us know. Also head on over to our dedicated Augen GenTouch Forum

via Engadget
Source: AugenUS, K-Mart

Last edited:

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dont think Augen would call this an "iPad killer". Its cool. Its probably functional. Its affordable, but its going after a totally different market.

OP
W

wuyanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
with the current ipad delays, it will be interesting to see how successful this device will become. but yes i agree, this is targeting a different audience.

Rs99z28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not an iPad killer. Though hopefully will speed along the price drops.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An iPad killer would have to be able to get content, more content than Apple can give us. How could this be possible? Is it possible?

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An iPad killer would have to be able to get content, more content than Apple can give us. How could this be possible? Is it possible?

No, an iPad killer would simply have to do what the iPad cannot. Simple printing, customizable home screens, network streaming of video and audio, wireless syncing, etc, etc, etc. This is not an iPad killer, its not trying to be. This will be popular though unless it sucks completely out of the gate, because it will be easily overclocked and hacked into something awesome.

Lukey M Pukey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may get more popular because of the price, but that will only encourage the apple team to make the iPad better.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's like an iPad, in the same way a Ford Focus is like a Bugatti Veyron.

That's not saying it hasn't got it's uses; I can actually see more obvious uses for that than I can see for my £700 iPad, but a killer? *smirk* no.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Price point is too low. They charge $500 for a 1 3/4 inch screen phone without a data plan. These folks are too greedy - where's the hook?

Most reactions

Latest posts