What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ATV or iOS 6 JB 1st...

venster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking to get ATV but obviously 3rd Gen isnt JB'd yet. And there's not much info on either.

Which do you think will be first to be done. I don't really want to pay the inflated 2nd gen prices unless the 3rd Gen JB will never come.

Would I be correct in saying that I would be able to install XBMC on ipad once it's JB'd and then play it through ATV if that isn't JB'd ?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any speculation about which will appear first would simply be a guess, but it is true to say that the attack surface for the Apple TV is significantly smaller than that of the iPad, therefore it is in theory much more challenging to find the exploit(s) necessary to jailbreak for the AppleTV because you have less to aim at.

There are teams of talented folks working on jailbreaking both products, but I couldn't call which one will land first.

You are right to say that a JB iPad will be able to utilise a non-JB Apple TV, so if you had XBMC on the iPad you would be able to stream via the AppleTV. I am not a XBMC user myself, but it shouldn't be a problem. I use all my JB devices via both stock and jailbroken AppleTV's without issue.

Good Luck.

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mmmmmm....I hope it is legit but I doubt it. Will see...

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not think that is legit. It has been posted numerous times on another site by the same guy, I think it is an ad revenue site. If you look, there is a blog post for Nov 24, 2014 (which is just an Amazon ad for the ATV3) so either it is BS or they perfected time travel and we have survived the Mayan EOW. The Nov 2014 date for the post just keeps it on the top of the page so more people click into it.

From what I have been finding, a big hurdle is that there is not enough addressable memory in the chipset they are now using to load the updated image.

OP
V

venster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah I didn't see that 2014 entry.

I'll take a safe bet that iOS6 will be a way off and get ATV 2 then.

Most reactions