What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ATT vs Verizon for emergency

BostonBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am just about ready to upgrade to an IPad 2 32 gb. I only plan on using 3G in an emergency. Looks like ATT would be my best choice. I currently have an IPad 1 wifi only. Have gotten by without 3G until now but want GPS. Thoughts?

davidmaclean2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BostonBill said:
I am just about ready to upgrade to an IPad 2 32 gb. I only plan on using 3G in an emergency. Looks like ATT would be my best choice. I currently have an IPad 1 wifi only. Have gotten by without 3G until now but want GPS. Thoughts?

I have an iPad2 32 gig and used the hot spot feature on my iPhone to give me internet and gps,no probes at all..

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would get a smart phone that's is 4g and use that as a gps and wifi hot spot tmobile has free hot spot on there smart phones . And you should wait for I pad 3 if already have a iPad 1

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cover it both ways

I have a 64 gig Ip2 wifi and 3G and also a hotspot available on my iPhone. If that is an option for you, consider it. In any event, my humble experience has been that AT&T data throughput is almost twice faster than Verizon's. The phone may be a different story with Verizon getting the nod for geographic availability of service. In some locations. I am AT&T on both my iPhones and iPad2.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that the AT&T set-up (SIM card) on the iPad makes it more usable around the globe. You can switch out the SIM should you go elsewhere. OTH, the Verizon iPad's 3G uses CDMA technology, which is only in the US and some parts of Canada. Since it doesn't have a SIM card, you can't switch it out to take advantage of other (read: cheaper) plans.

Marilyn

OP
B

BostonBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. A little surprised by all the love for ATT. :) I wound up getting the Verizon version as that is the network my Droid is on.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that the AT&T set-up (SIM card) on the iPad makes it more usable around the globe. You can switch out the SIM should you go elsewhere. OTH, the Verizon iPad's 3G uses CDMA technology, which is only in the US and some parts of Canada. Since it doesn't have a SIM card, you can't switch it out to take advantage of other (read: cheaper) plans.

Marilyn

GSM technology is more widespread geographically, but it's incorrect to say that CDMA is used only in the US and Canada. For example it's used in that little country south of Siberia....China.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oooops! My bad!

Thanks for that, jsh1120. Thanks for the correction.

Marilyn

No problem, Marilyn. Your perspective is widespread. It's probably more accurate to say that folks who expect to use their devices in Europe and NA are far better off sticking with GSM since the EU mandated GSM for all member countries. Given that most people's travel is to/from North America and Europe it's not surprising that the impression that the rest of the world uses GSM would catch on.

The main reason that the EU mandated GSM was to assure real competition among carriers, something we sorely lack in the US. While Europeans can easily move from one carrier to another US consumers are generally stuck with multi-year contracts that lock them into a single carrier. The "benefit" of that approach is that American consumers get subsidized cell phones. But the huge disadvantage is that we pay through the nose for cellular service.

In the long run Europeans may pay more for their unsubsidized devices but they save tremendously on monthly carrier services as a result of competition. Over a two year period they're much better off than Americans.

Those who advocate "free market" solutions should take a close look at situations like this. The US government's failure to regulate the market (as the EU has done) has meant that very little real competition exists for 3G and 4G service in the US.

Most reactions

Latest posts