What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ATT 3G slow down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
anyone else notice the slower 3g speeds ever since the ipad launched?

i used to get between 1-2mbps on my iphone 3gs.

now im doing speed tests and getting between 200-700kbps

Last edited:

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was using a Sprint MiFi yesterday, and getting 767kbps, so I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought.

SWdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to the subject....

With as many 3G iPads already sold and the fact they use a lot of data/bandwidth I'm really not surprised by this. I wonder if AT&T has to keep the $30 per month offering for any length of time. If they see iPads using 20+ gigs per month they could raise the prices for heavy users.

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
im thinking they started throttling EVERYONE to try and keep up with the new data demand until they upgrade to HSPA like they said they would for years.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Speedtest app is reporting appreciably lower 3G speeds now than it did in early May.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not noticed slower speeds on AT&T on my unlimited plan, but speeds probably with location and usage patterns. AT&T also announced throttling maybe two months ago for heavy users. I've not been using 3G as much recently, but I'm generally a heavy user and haven't noticed throttling, either. When streaming Netflix from home, I use wi-fi. I see no reason to stream movies on 3G from home.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using an iPad 1. When i purchased it I was grandfathered in to the 29.95 unlimited plan. About 6 weeks ago I decided to drop Direct TV because it cost too much and I could watch movies on my iPad via Netflix. I usually connect it to TV around 9-10pm when I go to bed. For 6 weeks, since I have disconnected Direct TV I have noticed that at precisely 11pm my 3G goes away and doesn't come back until the next morning. I am using a lotmof data, but I signed a contract for unlimited and I think ATT is shutting me down. My heavy use usually begins at 9-10 and at 11 it's stopped. The iPad is in the exact same spot EVERY NIGHT. Finally I called last night and got the
Usual bull. But I have decided I am going to call every night when it happens so it will be documented and if I have to file suit I will have a record and proof that it's being done on purpose. I would also think that since all the
Trees have lost their leaves I would get better service as well. Nope!

SO, WHAT'S UP ATT? Get your act together!

You bumped a thread that is a year and half old.

Just sayin....

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first purchased my iPad I downloaded several applications. Now even the UPDATES on those applications are over 20mb and I have to find wifi to install them. And I also downloaded a tv series and got all but 2 episodes and suddenly I have to go to a wifi to finish the download. If I purchase an application for my iPad that apple has in the store, I would expect to be able to download it. And NO, I do not have wifi at home. I bout everything apple had to offer when I made my purchase, even the promise of fast speeds and being able to stream video. ATT and Apple have let me down. I do not recommend the iPad to anyone I talk to that sees me using it. Sorry about bumping the thread, but it was the topic I was looking for. Just saying.

It doesn't matter to me if you slam Apple to all and sundry. Your problem stems from carrier limits, not iPad, though. You can ditch Apple, but you'll run up against carrier limits with all hardware.

All carriers are throttling high usage, and you're streaming tons of data daily. No 3G plan will allow that, now that tablet and smart phone use has spread.

No hardware company, Apple or otherwise, promises users unlimited data. That's totally dependent on the buyer, whether you buy wi-fi, my-fi, 3G, tether or whatever. The hardware is fast, but it works only if you buy data access to match.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the unlimited plan was sold, it was unlimited. There was a tech blog that tested it by running video endlessly. I remember reading it. So what the Apple sales rep told you was accurate at the time.

You bought unlimited from AT&T, not Apple, though. All carriers have the right to change terms, prices, data services. Neither Apple, nor any other hardware company, has control of what carriers do. If you were under another impression, you were wrong. You might note that AT&T, not Apple, bills you for unlimited.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't think Apple sold any plans, just the devices but I'm happy to be proved wrong. By the sound of it you need to be talking to whoever your data account is with.

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't think Apple sold any plans, just the devices but I'm happy to be proved wrong. By the sound of it you need to be talking to whoever your data account is with.

The Archangel

Apple announced AT&T's data plans when touting iPad 1, so some people might've misunderstood. But the idea that someone who claims to have worked for Sprint/Nextel misunderstood is odd, especially an unlimited subscriber, because we get monthly notices of billing from AT&T, not Apple. That's been the case for more than a year, right from the start.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
But the idea that someone who claims to have worked for Sprint/Nextel misunderstood is odd, especially an unlimited subscriber, because we get monthly notices of billing from AT&T, not Apple. That's been the case for more than a year, right from the start.

Agreed, it is very surprising.

The Archangel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts