What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T WiFi hotspot question

workinonit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All I just picked up an ipad Saturday (32GB 3g), and have spent the time since learning, experimenting, and investigating. I have a question about the AT&T data plans. According to the AT&T site, the 3G plans include access to AT&T WiFi hot-spots. Does bandwidth used on a wifi hot-spot count towards your monthly cap? It is very vague about wifi usage, and has a notation (2) "Restrictions Apply". and the "Learn More" link takes you right to the sign-up page. Thanks Dave

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are not using the 3G then you are not using your allotted data that you purchased. The wifi is free in many places and I guess if you purchased the AT&T 3G data plan then you get AT&T wifi free along with it. I have only used my pad at Starbucks in Barnes & Noble so far and they use AT&T and it is free.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get what you're asking.. and like mary, when I go to Starbucks its a non-issue since they offer free wifi anyway. I can't remember where I was recently but I had an option to use att/wifi... I just skipped over it and used my 3g but now I'm wondering. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to log in and see if it lets us use the service. Most that can happen is the connection doesn't take.

Try it and let us know! :)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it is just a perk for using AT&T for data. iPhone users get free access too.

It definitely does not come out of your data allotment. Not a chance.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to any place that connects to AT&T wifi and have the AT&T data plan then you can connect to the wifi free. That is a perk of having AT&T data plan. I think it might ask you for your log on and password but you have it so it should not be a problem.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should NOT ask you for a username and password. The whole system identifies eligible iPads and iPhones and should let you on without issue. I would not be giving out any password. I have used this for some time now, starting with my iPhone, and have never been asked for a password.

Even when at&t first started doing this, back in 2008, you never needed a password. Back then you would give your iPhone phone number and received a text back with a link that took you to a Safari page that activated it for 24 hours. But that has been scrapped and they compare MAC IDs and already know you are an iPhone user on at&t or an iPad 3G user with an active data plan.

Michael

OP
W

workinonit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all that replied.
I just wanted to make sure before selecting a plan.
I figured as much for places like B&N or upscale coffeehouses like Starbucks where wifi was part of the draw, however I wasn't sure about others which I may come across.

I've been super busy and this has been my first opportunity to acknowledge all that replied. Thanks again.

Dave

Findandreplace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T WiFi worked with cellular data set to Off

I was at a Panera Bread location yesterday, which was right next to a FedEx Office store. The iPad 2 automatically connected to AT&T WiFi instead of Panera's WiFi. There was no prompt.

I have a data plan, but always keep cellular data turned off except while traveling. My question is, would it connect to AT&T Wifi seamlessly like this, even if I don't have an active data plan? My device is an iPad 2 with AT&T 3G.

Most reactions

Latest posts