What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T data plan mixup

Godrulsus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently tried to add an additional iPad 2 to my existing unlimited data plan. Before purchasing my third iPad for family I had called AT&T and asked if that was possible and was told that wouldn't be a problem. Can't believe what you are told on phone from AT&T. Now they tell me I can transfer plan but not add new iPad. What a rip off.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been a number of members with the same 'issue'. The problem seems to be that, if AT&T allowed you to add further iPads to an existing data plan they are likely to see an increased usage - even if your plan has a limit. This is one of the reasons why they charge additional for tethered accounts.

They have done their research well. If, say, you have a 2 GB account - that allows you to use up to, but not more than, 2 GB per month, their statistics have told them that, on average, a user does not consume all of that allowance. But if they allow additional users - or a tethered account - they have found that, again, on average, users consume a greater proportion of their monthly allowance.

You may rightly feel that, if you've paid for 2 GB you should be allowed to use it anyway you want to. But it's a very competitive business and AT&T have factored the average usage into their costings and can afford to give you a competitive price because they know that, on average, users will not consume all their allowance.

I agree, it doesn't seem fair!! And, for sure, you were not given the correct information on the 'phone..

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions