What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps to take advantage of iPad 3/4

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Hi all,

So I have a iPad 2 and cant decide on upgrading to a 4 now. Mainly because I dont think im maxing out my 2 as it is. If there are some cool games or any other apps that really to take advantage of the faster speeds and screen of the 4 I may be able to be swayed into getting one. Any game, tech app, science app, photo app, productivity app etc suggestion is welcomed! Thanks!

Tom

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any game that supports the retina screen will use features that are unavailable on the iPad 2. They use higher resolution graphics so the images you see look way better (sharper, more detailed, better colors). If you play the same game on an iPad 2, you just see a low resolution version of the image. The speeds just mean that the images get processed quicker. On the 3/4 the greater speed is need to make the greater resolution work.

The lower res images on the 2 are used to it will be just as smooth as the same game played on a faster device like the 3 or 4, but those will toss up higher res images. During the past 7 months, lot of apps have been updated for retina display. It would not surprice me if you have several of them on your iPad 2 right now. you just can't see the difference because those apps use low res images when running in an iPad 2. On an iPad 3 or 4, the use high res images and automatically look better.

Most any text-based app will simply look more clear on a 3/4 than on a 2. You just have to look at the screen to see the difference. Webpages text is clearer, the text is better defined. It can be subtle at first, especialy on causal inspection.

So what apps do you have on your iPad?

OP
Twism86

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
I Primarily use facebook, Skype, safari for browsing. I do run a few games that say "HD" so i assume they will looks better. Tower Madness and Overkill for example. I also have NOVA but dont play too much. Weather apps, nothing fancy.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TowerMadness HD had support since verison 1.16.1. Lots of weather apps have support....Weather Live, Night Stand, Aelios...lots of games like Fruit Nina, Dead Space, Avengers, Bad Pigges, Dead Trigger, MC3, Air Supremacy, lots of drawiing apps like Sketchbook Pro, MyBrushes, Sketch Club, Paper by 52, Productivity apps like Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Adobe Reader, just on and on. There are a lot of apps that use the retina screen so you won't find a situation where an app won't run on your iPad 2...they just use different assets depending on which device they are run on.

So, you just have to decide if you want to spend the money...it is not like you will suddenly be able to run apps you could not run before, it is just they will be in higher resolution...and if you have a iPad 3 they might run a bit slower than on the 2, but if you have an iPad 4 they should run just as fast or faster than they would on the 2. Apple's designs are such that you get the best experience possible on the hardware you own. It's why the mini feel as fast as the 4, but the 4 is tossing around higher resolution images and as a result will look better.

Most reactions

Latest posts