What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps stopped transferring to iTunes

Hotaru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad: 3, wifi only, never jailbroken
iOS: 8.1.2
iTunes: 12
Windows: 8.1/x64
Everything is fully updated. Only 1 Apple ID has ever been used on the iPad.

I normally perform app updates on the iPad itself. Upon syncing, updated apps would copy from the iPad to iTunes. Until now. The backup stage works, and other parts of the sync do too, so I don't think it would be the USB port or cable. Only the app copying has stopped working. Everything went smoothly the first 3 or 4 syncs. I did not change any settings on the iPad or in iTunes. The only thing different was syncing about 170 songs whose metadata were updated. That part went ok, but the updated apps were not copied from the iPad. I already tried the standard thing of restarting the PC and iPad, and that did not help. Syncs still proceed but no app updates ever get copied from the iPad. There is no error message about this; the copying is just never started. I tried a manual sync (rather than the usual sync upon USB connection), but that made no difference. I have tried sync upon connect both enabled and disabled. I looked at the app update screen in iTunes and it showed as having updates available for everything that has already been updated on the iPad. I hunted for more settings/actions but found nothing. My Google search showed very little pertaining to iTunes 12. (I never once had this occur in iTunes 11.)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
May I assume that by manual you mean the "Transfer Purchases" part from iTunes (under File > Devices).

Because when I do the transfer, it does work.

IOW, when you say "manually" syncing to update your apps, what do you mean? Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
H

Hotaru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May I assume that by manual you mean the "Transfer Purchases" part from iTunes (under File > Devices).

Because when I do the transfer, it does work.

IOW, when you say "manually" syncing to update your apps, what do you mean? Thanks.

Marilyn

Actually I have tried both the Transfer purchases menu and the Sync button next to the free space bar graph on the device screen. Either way I see Preparing items to copy but no apps are ever copied (songs still get copied).

Most reactions

Latest posts