What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps for the iPad 3?

ChuckinSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if apps purchased for the iPad 2 will work with the new iPad 3? I wonder if the change in resolution will require separate purchases for an update. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
they will work.

It depends how they end up doing it, you could have the 2X like you do for iPhone apps. LOL iPhone apps may look really bad at 4x.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apps will work, but it will take several months before all of them get updated to work with the higher resolution. And some will not get updated, but should do just fine. They probably won't look too much different unless you look real close.

alysonshaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope it would, otherwise we need to repurchase them or just stick with our old ipads. ;)

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Same as with the iPhone move to retina. All prior apps will work just the same but the prerendered stuff like artwork and some fonts will not look as good on the retina display as they will be upscaled images. Anything vector based should look as good or better on the retina display.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
There are two possibilities.
#1 apple is confident that current iPad apps display on the new device decently without requiring an update. In this case the iPad could very well launch right after the announcement.

#2 current iPad apps do not look as good as when they were displayed on the iPad 2. In this case, apple would give at least one week after the announcement before launching the device, just to give developers time to submit enhanced versions of their apps so that they are ready when the device is released.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are two possibilities.
#1 apple is confident that current iPad apps display on the new device decently without requiring an update. In this case the iPad could very well launch right after the announcement.

#2 current iPad apps do not look as good as when they were displayed on the iPad 2. In this case, apple would give at least one week after the announcement before launching the device, just to give developers time to submit enhanced versions of their apps so that they are ready when the device is released.

I'm pretty sure the iPad 3 will launch this Fri in the US. When the iPhone 4 was released, it took weeks for many apps to get updated, some even took months. They still worked but were just not optimised for the retina display. I don't think this will have any bearing on the actual release date.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I'm pretty sure the iPad 3 will launch this Fri in the US. When the iPhone 4 was released, it took weeks for many apps to get updated, some even took months. They still worked but were just not optimised for the retina display. I don't think this will have any bearing on the actual release date.
Yes, but they gave developers advanced notice to make changes. While they don't force developers to update their apps, the ones that do can spend weeks just waiting for the updates to be reviewed by apple before it is approved for the app store.

Either way, we will be seeing a huge flood of app updates in the coming weeks. Get ready to see a bunch of app updates every time you open the app store.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Either way, we will be seeing a huge flood of app updates in the coming weeks. Get ready to see a bunch of app updates every time you open the app store.

Yup, I remember that the last time. The new IOS and new screen meant I was in some cases getting 10 new updates a day.

pagansoul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think more about how much extra HD space will be used to upgrade the images. I really hope they (Apple) give a option to buy something larger than 64GB. An HD movie can be over 5GB each. An HD game must be vast.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I think more about how much extra HD space will be used to upgrade the images. I really hope they (Apple) give a option to buy something larger than 64GB. An HD movie can be over 5GB each. An HD game must be vast.

You make a good point, and this alone is the reason for me thinking about getting a 64 gig iPad this time around. With the first generation iPad I found that my 32gig model had plenty of space. While anywhere near being able to hold my entire collection, it was far more than I needed for just the things I wanted to carry around with me.

I'm sure apple will be trying to sell iTunes Match for the simple ability to have all you music with you without using any of the iPads space via iCloud. If you go that route you only need to worry about spece for apps and Movies.

Most reactions

Latest posts