What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Application Downloads from App Store Extremely Slow - Any Applicable Settings i iPAD?

Baldy48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all.

Have an iPAD 2 WiFi with iOS 5.0.1.

WiFi download speeds tested on a PC at speedguide.net immediately prior to downloading an app on my iPAd 2. Getting 13 Mbps+ on the PC. However iPad downloads of apps (or app updates), regardless of size, are consistently and excrutiatingly slow. Very strong connection to my WiFi router are indicated in iPad. No load from any other machine / device on my home network during the downloads. I don't see anything in settings (e.g. "select connection type and / or speed - dial-up, cable, 2Mbps, 5Mbps, 10Mbps, etc.") to adjust speeds. Nothing in the user manual, at least nothing I can find, addresses this. I haven't been able to find another post with this specific issue. Am I missing something?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Geek4hire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, try changing your Dns server address to another local dns server address. I have noticed that I get slow speeds with anything to do with apple downloads when using specific dns servers, especially (open dns) to be exact but also google dns too in the past but I think they may have fixed that now. There are tons out there, I found using a local ISP's dns server gave me a huge increase in the speed with apple downloads than I get when using opendns or google dns. I usually set the google dns 8.8.8.8 as my secondary. You can change your dns settings in your network settings on your iPad. Took me a bit of research to figure this one out as it's strange that Dns can affect download speed. let me know if this helps :)

CaptSolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem with download speed. Upload speed was not a problem. The fix I did was changed my wireless router security to WPA and my speed went from .045 Mbps to 15 Mbps. It is still 15 Mbps slower than my PC but much better.

Most reactions

Latest posts