What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple’s victory over Samsung in court affecting resale prices of Android devices

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like Tim said, it's about values. I really can't see apple doing anything about the millions of galaxies and samsungs already in circulation, but it will tighten the market and heat up Samsungs INVENTION department. No more INNOVATION. From a legal standpoint, apple may well mandate that the new productions be donated to our soldiers or something like that. Some hardware may be stripped but there is no need to waste 100s of 10000s of food products. The infringement is done, now it's time for Samsung to put on their dress blues and get to business.

I was joking. Lol.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Samsung does plenty of innovation. They just copied too much of the apple products. But they will change some things, as will google and group, and be right back in the game. And there will be plenty of non apple tablets. This will have an impact, but overall I think it will be for the better.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Samsung does plenty of innovation. They just copied too much of the apple products. But they will change some things, as will google and group, and be right back in the game. And there will be plenty of non apple tablets. This will have an impact, but overall I think it will be for the better.

Innovation is when you change something that someone else invented, just for the record.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Innovation is when you change something that someone else invented, just for the record.

Lol. Where did you get that? Innovating means creating something new. That can mean something entirely new, or something based on previously created.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
HKWrite12 said:

Yes.

One of the best known innovation companies, is BASF. Here's a list of its trademarks.

We make things better.™ BASF Corporation
We make things stronger.™ BASF Corporation
We make things brighter.™ BASF Corporation
We make things faster.™ BASF Corporation
We make things safer.™ BASF Corporation

Proprietary rights is a murkier field in the commodities market. And make no mistake, that's all an iPhone, iPad, Galaxy, Nexus or Blackberry is. A commodity.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol. The etymology of the word doesn't determine what it means to people in common use now. Language constantly evolves, which is why if you look up the word in a dictionary like Webster's, the definition is "the introduction to something new," or something to that effect.

You're preaching to the choir here. I always perceived innovation as something new but I guess it's one of those words that has some sort of different meaning depending on one's point of view.

But anyway sorry for going off topic. Back to our original schedule program.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're preaching to the choir here. I always perceived innovation as something new but I guess it's one of those words that has some sort of different meaning depending on one's point of view.

But anyway sorry for going off topic. Back to our original schedule program.

I hear you. People can believe what they want. But a dictionary definition like Webster's doesn't get written or changed overnight. They research how people are widely using any word before tweaking or adding. The definitions reflect current common use(s), not historic uses. And if you look up innovation in dictionaries like Webster's, you'll find that innovation and invention are referred to as synonyms.

Back on topic: If anyone should've been excited about the billion dollar verdict (other than Apple and its lawyers), I'd think it would be any Samsung IT people who'd chafed at being ordered or pressured to copy from another company. Talk about scut work. If Samsung and other companies are forced to innovate, that's all the better for anyone who works for them and wants to exercise any originality.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
I'm afraid the argument here isn't about originality, it's about who has the most money in the bank!!

What has Apple done here, they have won the right to be the only creators of square edged phones with rounded corners......to me, that's like Ford Motor Vehicles having a law passed that they can solely produce vehicles with 4 wheels.

I'm a huge Apple fan, but what I see here is very much like what Bill Gates did, buys up or closes all his competition through expensive court cases!! Without competition prices will carry on rising, but as with everything, a copyright always comes to an end, then the maket will be flooded by everyone making cheap uncontrolled copies.

Samsung make a fantastic collection of things, and maybe a large wad of cash can make things seem cosy again, but personally.......I think its another case of the rich getting richer at the expense of the consumer!!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid the argument here isn't about originality, it's about who has the most money in the bank!!

What has Apple done here, they have won the right to be the only creators of square edged phones with rounded corners......to me, that's like Ford Motor Vehicles having a law passed that they can solely produce vehicles with 4 wheels.

I'm a huge Apple fan, but what I see here is very much like what Bill Gates did, buys up or closes all his competition through expensive court cases!! Without competition prices will carry on rising, but as with everything, a copyright always comes to an end, then the maket will be flooded by everyone making cheap uncontrolled copies.

Samsung make a fantastic collection of things, and maybe a large wad of cash can make things seem cosy again, but personally.......I think its another case of the rich getting richer at the expense of the consumer!!

This article offers insight into why opinions might vary around the world:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/01/technology/in-japan-a-setback-for-apples-patent-fight.html

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sarahbaby said:
More cheper, better./I like cheap things

I like inexpensive things; cheap stuff is junk. ☺

Most reactions