What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple’s victory over Samsung in court affecting resale prices of Android devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iphone-win.jpeg

Apple has just been awarded victory in its court wars with Samsung and thus received the massive amount of $1.05 billion in damages to compensate for patent infringements. The question remains, is the overthrow going to affect how users feel about their Android gadgets? Apparently it does.

Marketwatch website was amongst the first to notice that top electronics reseller Gazelle.com is experiencing a 50% increase of people willing to trade their Samsung branded devices, following Apple’s victory in court last week. The resale prices are falling abruptly, as a consequence, of course.

“Consumers seem to be jumping ship. We expect this trend to continue, especially with this latest verdict,†commented Gazelle’s chief gadget officer, Anthony Scarsella.

Historically speaking though, Android products have never fared well in holding its value when considered for resale. Take the Samsung Galaxy S II – the device can be acquired for just $90 on NextWorth.com while an iPhone 4S is still worth a decent $300. Even the latest Samsung Galaxy S III can be bought for $260 which is still less than an iPhone 4S.

As a result of their victory, Apple is expected to stigmatize a host of Samsung devices and get them banned in the United States. Such a move could help increase the prices of some Android devices destined for reselling, as Samsung is probably going to make drastic changes with the next generation of its products to stay out of court in the near future, thus awarding some Samsung gadgets the status of relics.

By Radu

Source: Apple win whacks Android resale prices - MarketWatch

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i had the Samsung Galaxy s and only had it 7 months,i got just over a quarter of what i paid when i sold it and that was a while ago now.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would not mind a S3 for cheap!!

beesy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Samsung Is Awesome

I really like apple products, but I also like samsung, I am tired of apple's high prices on their products. Samsung has outdone apple on their galaxy s3 and galaxy note 2, as well as the galaxy tab and note 10.1. I have an Ipad and in the past an iphone but the samsung galaxy s3 is super nice! Much better than any Iphone, the galaxy tab and note is as a good or better product than my ipad. so I give a thumbs up :thumbs: to samsung for being competitive and better than apple, one more thing apple is a prideful company that has taken american jobs and shipped them to a foreign land to save on taxes, how terrible! I will continue to support samsung, who is rising higher than apple and will eventually dominate the android and apple market....

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had the Samsung Galaxy s and only had it 7 months,i got just over a quarter of what i paid when i sold it and that was a while ago now.
Oh so you did end up selling it. I remember when you got it.

I had my Galaxy for ... too long. My dad uses it now, but will get an iPhone when his breaks.

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please, everyone remember that Apple releases a new device once a year. Whereas quite s few Android ones come out during the same time.

So the huge choice for public makes the difference. This week you'll get a new phone from LG, next week from Samsung and from HTC the next. So the possible replacement for your phone is always there. That makes the resale prices low. I mean the iPhone 4S is the newest one now, though it's a yesteryears device.

Sent from my SGS Classic using iPad Forums
No more, no less...

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh so you did end up selling it. I remember when you got it.

I had my Galaxy for ... too long. My dad uses it now, but will get an iPhone when his breaks.
i was very disappointed at the resale price,thats the thing about iPhone,they hold their value so you don't feel you've been ripped off.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i was very disappointed at the resale price,thats the thing about iPhone,they hold their value so you don't feel you've been ripped off.

Somehow I knew you'd be on this thread....can't wait for the iPhone 5!! :)

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
poisonivy said:

For comparison, today in Finland you'll need to pay 850€ for iPhone 4S and 660€ for SGS3. That's the reality. Old vs new device... That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The hardware is multiple times more uptodate in the cheaper gadget.

Sent from the iPad using iPF. No more, no less.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I were Apple, I'd have fun with this. Offer say $100 credit for every one of the offender Samsung phones as a trade-in for a new iPhone. Do a little business.

Then make a little art. Take all the trade-in Samsung phones, melt them down or weld them into some kind of sculpture, maybe some free-form scales of justice. Name the piece something like "Thou shall not steal." Lol.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
If I were Apple, I'd have fun with this. Offer say $100 credit for every one of the offender Samsung phones as a trade-in for a new iPhone. Do a little business.

Then make a little art. Take all the trade-in Samsung phones, melt them down or weld them into some kind of sculpture, maybe some free-form scales of justice. Name the piece something like "Thou shall not steal." Lol.

Like Tim said, it's about values. I really can't see apple doing anything about the millions of galaxies and samsungs already in circulation, but it will tighten the market and heat up Samsungs INVENTION department. No more INNOVATION. From a legal standpoint, apple may well mandate that the new productions be donated to our soldiers or something like that. Some hardware may be stripped but there is no need to waste 100s of 10000s of food products. The infringement is done, now it's time for Samsung to put on their dress blues and get to business.

nickb67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont like the idea of Apple being the only tablet on the market (Its what they would like) as this will give them a total monopoly and they will be even more expensive! When apple release the 7inch model why dont the others sue apple for copying them! As an owner of both apple and android, I can tell you one isnt better then the other! certain things about android are way better than apple and vice versa, then more competition the better in my eyes,
Apple makes great products but are becoming an evil empire!
people are blindly apple fans, without daring to speak bad about things they do etc, I even had an apple friend insist apple make good headphones, (you heard how loud they bleed)
so live and let live!

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
poisonivy said:
i cant wait either,definitely going for white this time.

Good choice! mine's white and I couldn't be happier with my choice. Just wish I had gone with the white iPad a few months earlier. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts