What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple’s larger-sized iPad is again rumored for launch in October 2014

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By the way, I disagree about tablets not being useful for productivity. I just depends what you're trying to do. People like doctors, educators, sales people, etc., are using tablets to serve patients, students, customers, etc.

Just because all some people do with tablets is consume content doesn't mean that's true of everyone. My company wouldn't be giving out iPads to people just so they could play on them, lol. There's a business and educational case to be made. And that's what Apple is pursuing, along with the recreational users.

What you do on your iPad -- consume content -- can be done on laptops, netbooks, etc. The difference is form factor.

I mean making documents and files. Or other productivity that needs a keyboard. The only thing the iPad is good at is for viewing the file or document finished.

I never said it was only good for games. I also said that it is good for viewing documents, files, and other things. The iPad is also good for educationl purposes, yes I agree with that.

Yes you can do all of those in the laptop or a notebook, but the iPad is way better in this things. That is why companies offer iPads to there employees.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me, my original mention of touchscreen covered iPad OS. Mostly, I prefer touchscreen; I've got Android as well, and its OS works well for me, too. As for other Apple OS, I prefer Windows. Those are my personal preferences, though. For some people, especially the elderly and some disabled people, having a bigger iPad screen would help overcome poor eyesight or coordination. For educational or family purposes, bigger screens would allow easier sharing. If Apple figures out how to let us have two apps running side by side, bigger screens would also be useful. There are many possibilities.

If Apple allows us to run 2 apps side by side, IMO that would nearly be as big of a deal as it's introduction! Would double its usefulness and justify a larger version!

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If Apple allows us to run 2 apps side by side, IMO that would nearly be as big of a deal as it's introduction! Would double its usefulness and justify a larger version!

It would. And I think there is a jailbreak tweak for that. I am trying to find one right now.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, Mikey doesn't seem to see the difference, which is surprising, especially for someone who owns a tablet, lol.

I do get the difference between the two. I just felt that a tablet that large and likely weighty starts to lose some of its appeal when it is just as easy to carry around an MBA or whatever. A 13" tablet isn't as easy to throw around as a 9" tablet and requires a lot more space to carry it.

No biggy, I'm just not getting it. ;). We can revisit this thread someday and see how sales go of this big tablet!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do get the difference between the two. I just felt that a tablet that large and likely weighty starts to lose some of its appeal when it is just as easy to carry around an MBA or whatever. A 13" tablet isn't as easy to throw around as a 9" tablet and requires a lot more space to carry it.

If I were a doctor, salesperson, architect, teacher, etc., I could cradle or hold a larger tablet with one hand / arm while walking around, manipulate it, turn it around instantly and show patients, customers, clients, students, etc., the screen. Then I'd flip it to manipulate some more, then turn it back to them. How would holding a laptop for such uses be just as easy?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

No biggy, I'm just not getting it. ;). We can revisit this thread someday and see how sales go of this big tablet!

Do you expect sales on the new Mac Pro to be like the sales of some of the consumer-targeted Macs? A pro-level iPad would be to the regular iPads like the Mac Pro is to the regular computers Apple sells. It's more of a niche market than anything else, so sales don't have to reach the same levels as consumer devices. However, I think a Pro level iPad will reach a lot more people than a Pro level Mac will. It's not like it is going to weigh 10 lbs. Even with a 12.9-inch screen, it will still be light enough that many people can handle it (I don't see myself as a customer for one, though, but that is still TBD). The form factor does make a difference. I have tons of laptops (MBA, Lenovo ThinkPad, Sony, etc) and I still will grab a tablet mainly because of the form factor. Not having to make room for a keyboard is a big deal in a lot of usage cases. When you think about it, in order to use most laptops you have to have the screen up and the keyboard out. Now the space needed to use it is like a sphere that encloses the entire open laptop. A tablet, on the other hand, is flat, so the space needed to use it is always less. I grab a laptop or desktop for keyboard intensive activities but use a laptop for keyboard-light activities, where a touch screen will do fine. There are lots of reading / viewing tasks that work extremely well on a tablet (and are also productivity related). So any task that requires reading / viewing and light keyboard activity is going to be one where a tablet wins out. Remember, too, that few people really need all the raw horse power that most laptops have these days. Talk about wasted CPU cycles. :)

I really feel strongly that Apple would not enter this market if it didn't completely understand the usage scenarios [unlike Samsung which just iterate products like mad to see what works). Also, TV sometimes reflects life and other times life reflects TV. TV shows are showing the way. Heck, even the UPS drivers show up at my door with tablet-like devices. The Nav unit in my car looks like a tablet. Why not just build in a space for an iPad and be done with it? I'd much rather have a permanently mounted iPad than the Nav unit my car. I keep my cars for 10+ years and the Nav unit was obsolete when I got it. There is a lot of untapped potential for tablets, still.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Did you get the iPad Air, Kay?

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree, AQ. The key target market for a large screen tablet would be professionals -- they would not be individuals with tight budgets.

For professionals who need a larger screen, it will become UNaffordable to not get a larger screen, because they will be less competitive than professionals who can afford them. If for instance, I were a commercial photographer or architect showing off my portfolio to potential clients, imagine me showing off my photos or sketches on a vivid touchscreen tablet vs. the competitor who'd be showing off his on a laptop, in an album or on paper, lol.

If I were an architect or designer, I could walk around with a larger tablet and more easily sketch a site while walking through with a client. Imagine trying to do that with a laptop, lol.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you get the iPad Air, Kay?

Yes, I got a 128GB Air and use my grandfathered AT&T unlimited data on it. (I love AT&T for letting me keep unlimited!)

The Air crashes more than any other iPad I've owned, though, ughhh.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I got a 128GB Air and use my grandfathered AT&T unlimited data on it. (I love AT&T for letting me keep unlimited!) The Air crashes more than any other iPad I've owned, though, ughhh.

I knew you did lol.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

Zugzwang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
I wish apple would make something akin to the Asus transformer, an iPad that can lock into a keyboard dock and basically be a laptop. That is the only limitation of the tablet firm factor for me, the occasional times when I need to type a lot.

Of course, that would cannibalize Mac book sales, so won't likely happen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Most reactions