What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple will not accept cash for iPads

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen several reports of Apple stores not accepting cash for iPads. Credit cards only is the line. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this?

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do they even have cash registers in Apple stores? Every time I've purchased something from an Apple store, the employee just used a portable device to run my card.

mknoebel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in an Apple store today looking at their iPads. There was a sign right on the table that said limit 2 per customer and credit or debit cards only.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could be because it is just too inconvenient for them to accept cash..they now checkout with iPhones all over the store. For cash sales it would require a csr to actually hold it on them until their shift ends....seems too risky.

I would recommend either putting your cash in a checking account and using a check card to pay, or buying a visa prepaid card.

OrlandoiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just called my local Apple Store and asked if I could use an Apple Store gift card and was told no. Since there is a 2 iPad limit per customer, he said that they want the ability to track your purchase by credit or debit card. What am I going to do with this $900 gift card I just got....;)

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's because they want to keep tabs on purchases. They don't want one person buying 50 iPads in a week, and seeing them popup on foreign shores with a %25 markup.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could be because it is just too inconvenient for them to accept cash..they now checkout with iPhones all over the store. For cash sales it would require a csr to actually hold it on them until their shift ends....seems too risky.

I would recommend either putting your cash in a checking account and using a check card to pay, or buying a visa prepaid card.

The risk is it is too easy to take counterfeit bills today. Then when you make the deposit you eat it when it is discovered.

Anyone who wants to pay me in cash over several hundred dollars, I make meet me at a bank. They hand it to the teller and if it is OK I deposit directly to my account. I never touch the stuff.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The risk is it is too easy to take counterfeit bills today. Then when you make the deposit you eat it when it is discovered.

Anyone who wants to pay me in cash over several hundred dollars, I make meet me at a bank. They hand it to the teller and if it is OK I deposit directly to my account. I never touch the stuff.

They have made all kinds of change to the currency that make it much harder to counterfeit. I don't buy that. When you only accept credit and debit cards though it is virtually impossible to have your employees steal from you.

I guess that they don't trust the geniuses with cash.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used a gift card when I bought my iPad, but the gift card was only 150.00 of my total purchase and the rest was on credit card.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see another reason about this. Credit cards are country specific. Someone on a trip to the States will not be able to purchase an iPad if they don't have a US specific card. My Canadian Visa will not work at Apple USA.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A gift certificate for the full amount or above is like cash. Untraceable. And as expensive as computers and the like are, it does not make sense to have the risk of that much cash on hand.

Nel727

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used a gift card when I bought my iPad, but the gift card was only 150.00 of my total purchase and the rest was on credit card.

Seems that OrlandoiPad can use the gift card so long as he/she charges 99¢ to the credit card:confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts