What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Was Warned About iOS 6 Maps Issues

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
8398-ios-6-maps-complaints.JPG

CNET reports today that Apple was warned by developers that its in-house version of Maps had some serious flaws, prior to its release, but it went ahead and released it anyway. CNET said that from the moment developers got their first build of the app back in June, they were notifying Apple of all the app’s issues, via bug request forms. They even sent emails to specific Apple employees, and left postings about their misgivings on message boards that would be viewed by other developers and Apple. “I posted at least one doomsayer rant after each (developer) beta, and I wasn’t alone,†a developer with three iOS apps to his name told CNET. “The mood amongst the developers seemed to be that the maps were so shockingly bad that reporting individual problems was futile.†CNET says that it heard similar stories from six developers, all of whom wished to remain anonymous. The news that Apple was well aware of the problems makes it even stranger that it went ahead and released the Maps app in its flawed state. Would be very interesting to hear Apple’s take on this, but as usual, it’s not commenting.

Source: Developers: We warned Apple about iOS maps quality | Apple - CNET News

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Man....what could they have been thinking? Mind boggles!

I blame this all on Tim.

:)

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmmm if Apple doesn't want this to bite them in the rear end for the long term than they better start improving on this app otherwise this will leave a very bad taste in the mouths of people in the long run.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
As a Blackberry refugee who is late to the iOS party, I can easily flash back to a few RIM firmware updates that nearly pushed me to berrycide.

I agree the Map App was incomplete at release, but from a business standpoint, Apple was at a crossroads. Re-upping its Google licensing deal was not in its best interests long term. And customers have to accept that some business decisions are not going to be to their liking or even in their best interests, near term.

Apple Maps is like the baby bird booted out of the nest. If it develops at the same rate of progression as Google Maps did, from infancy, I believe it too will soar.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a Blackberry refugee who is late to the iOS party, I can easily flash back to a few RIM firmware updates that nearly pushed me to berrycide.

I agree the Map App was incomplete at release, but from a business standpoint, Apple was at a crossroads. Re-upping its Google licensing deal was not in its best interests long term. And customers have to accept that some business decisions are not going to be to their liking or even in their best interests, near term.

Apple Maps is like the baby bird booted out of the nest. If it develops at the same rate of progression as Google Maps did, from infancy, I believe it too will soar.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Apple reportedly had a year left on its Google maps deal and decided to take a flyer anyway.

Warnings: You can't save some people from themselves sometimes.

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These are the sort of things that people can hold a grudge on for years to come especially if the android fans get a hold of this news. And could affect their sales on the iPad mini and iPhone 5. A very risky move if you ask me, even for the next few models the flaws could stick with consumers and there is an increasing amount of new devices coming into the market. In the last year I have had 5 friends and family move to Samsung because "the iPhone is not all its cracked up to be anymore"
I went into the phone store yesterday and I overheard the sales rep, who said the iPhone 5 is just another iPhone, and it's not really any different to the countless other iPhones. The guy walked out of there with a Samsung phone. I wanted to tell him to get an iPhone but it was not my place to say.
Personally I hope they fix it, I've not bothered to update yet as I won't get Siri, will have worse maps and no YouTube app, my iPad 2 is just 8 months old.
However I love the iPad and would have nothing else, however phone wise the iPhone 5 does not excite me. Time for a change?
I hope apple are not slipping and just trying to milk us while they can.
On the plus side by the time they release the iPad mini, they should have all the bugs worked out so they can market it as a big feature with the new mini.
Or I may be wrong that's just my opinion.

Most reactions