What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple store (slight vent)

JasonFJ40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Grrr. I called my local Apple store yesterday and was told that they had received a limited supply of iPad 2's and would be selling them when the store opened this morning. According to the "store hours and directions" message on their phone system the store opens at 10:00 AM, so I figured it would be a good idea to get there a little early as I suspected there would be a line. I got to the store at 9:15, only to find that they had opened early and already sold out!!

I REALLY would have appreciated to know that they were planning to open early. (I wasted an hour and $10 in gas.) I get that this release has taken everyone by surprise and the demand is much higher than expected, but it would be nice to have a little better insight as to what the plan is for rolling them out to stores going forward.

Anyone have a similar experience?

OP
J

JasonFJ40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah.....good advice. I may do the same. I hesitated to order one online because of the 4 - 5 week estimated shipping time, but who knows.....it may take longer than that to stock the stores! :)

It's tough to get too mad about stuff like this in light of what's going on in Japan, North Africa and elsewhere in the world, but it's still frustrating!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel your frustration, Jason. They should have said they were gonna open earlier. I had heard they were opening apple store earlier thn usual but I though 9 a.m. Is an hour earlier thn usual. So they opened like 8-8:30a.m. Then. If I remember right, apple store gets new large shipments of ipad2's every Tuesday now. Maybe u could see if u could go into the store and prepay for one in advance. So as soon as the shipment comes in, they call u or u go up there and just pick it up, versus having to worry n wait about it not being avail or sold out already.

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well be aware that FedEx is moving their anticipated delivery dates out by 5 days due to the issues in Japan if your going to order in line!

OP
J

JasonFJ40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good thought, Demandarin.....I'll call and see if that's an option.

Thanks for the heads up on FedEx, Rlarson_mn

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
I have to be at work early so, I was ready to order online at 4:00AM on launch day. I was going to go after work and, try to get one and then cancel but, by then; I realized that ordering online was a good idea.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well be aware that FedEx is moving their anticipated delivery dates out by 5 days due to the issues in Japan if your going to order in line!

I heard an technology analyst being interviewed this morning on NPR. She said many crucial parts in the ipad2', including some of the flash memory comes from Japan. She thought prices will go up as it might soon be hard to get a new iPad "this year."

I wish I had bought several as an investment! :)

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I called my local Apple Store yesterday and was told, "Your best bet is to order it online."

I think these Apple employees are just tired of dealing with this issue and pushing people to online to keep them out of the stores or from calling them. While I understand this, it is not good customer service. Just give me the facts and I will make my own decision, DO NOT try and make it for me.

I just can not get myself to give anyone $600.00 of my money to keep for 4-5 weeks or more (who really knows) and not have anything in exchange for it.

While I love my iPad and other Apple products I am not a fan of this promotional marketing hype (Not enough product for demand, no information on restocking, maybe they will have some, maybe they will open early, etc). It leaves a bad taste in my mouth......

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I heard an technology analyst being interviewed this morning on NPR. She said many crucial parts in the ipad2', including some of the flash memory comes from Japan. She thought prices will go up as it might soon be hard to get a new iPad "this year."

Seldom you will see Apple change prices in the middle of the process. Ipad are not meant to be an investment. There is a price for everything.

Dubebone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Local apple manager: we open up one hour early (9am), but you should be here around 630am, because we will hand out vouchers at around 7am. FYI, my apple store got 38 devices today. At 7am, the queue was around 50 ppl long. Danbury, CT.

Btw, I arrived at 955am, lol. I really believe that I should wait for my shipping date April 6th.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Seldom you will see Apple change prices in the middle of the process. Ipad are not meant to be an investment. There is a price for everything.

I wasn't talking about Apple raising prices. If there indeed was a shortage of parts and Apple temporarily ran out of iPads others would be selling iPads and making a profit.

There were 2 guys truing to sell iPad 2s they had just bought to people at the end of the line at the Apple store on launch day. Thats why Apple limited sales to 2 per person.

Also, the smiley face means it was a joke.

Most reactions

Latest posts