What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Smart Case flap doesn't always shut off iPad.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have my iPad Air mounted in an Apple smart case. It has the standard magnet along the lip of the cover that shuts off the iPad when it's closed.

But, a couple of times now, it hasn't shut off my iPad. I've closed the cover completely in the evening then opened it the next morning to find the screen still on and the battery worn down to 10 - 15%.

The magnet on the lip of the smart case cover is strong. (It really sticks to my fridge). It closes completely and the cover sits flat, but it doesn't always shut off the screen. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 and I have no problem with it. I don't remember if there is a warranty on the cover but you might consider taking it to the nearest Apple Store and get it sorted out.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have the case but I do have the Apple Smart Cover and this shouldn't be happening to you.

Check to make sure the Lock/unlock feature is turned on in Settings - General. It's an easy thing to turn it off by mistake.

If on, try a reset of your iPad and see if that makes a difference.

Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

If still no joy, maybe you have a defective case.

Deane2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem might be the magnet in the case is not in the correct place. There is a fine line between the magnet working correctly and it being misaligned and causing the problem you describe. 1 or 2 millimeters off and it drains the battery. I would suggest testing your iPad with another cover to make sure it's not the iPad and then testing the cover on another iPad to make sure it is the cover. If it is, return it.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... This is an awkward thing. The problem is that it's only happened three times since I got it over 2 1/2 months ago. I can't get it to behave this way at will. I can close the cover 100 times and it will always shut off no matter how hard or softly I do it. So if I drop by the Apple store to show them the "failure to hibernate" when the cover is closed, it's unlikely that I'll be able to duplicate the problem.

I guess I'll give 'em a shout anyway. They might have received a few complaints from others....

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree that the mis-alignment of the magnet may be causing the problem. I have a leather case and the 'hinge' is getting a bit loose, so I am experiencing this problem. A slight wiggle of the cover does the trick. Also I have auto-lock (in settings/general) set to 5 minutes, so even if the cover magnet does not switch the device off it will do so itself within a short time. Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Eliah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a iPad I have a flap that when your not using it you go and get the flap and cover the iPad and it always turn of but now it doesn't after school and I don't know what happened I reset it 2 times and it would still not work what do I do?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a iPad I have a flap that when your not using it you go and get the flap and cover the iPad and it always turn of but now it doesn't after school and I don't know what happened I reset it 2 times and it would still not work what do I do?
Have you gone to Settings>Display & Brightness>Lock / Unlock and checked to make sure that the switch is turned on? If it's turned off the cover won't put the iPad to sleep when it's closed.

Most reactions

Latest posts