What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Rumors

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In paging through my Flipboard app this morning I ran into an interesting "Apple rumor" article (not from the Apple Rumors website, though, if I recall rightly). Apparently the author of the Steve Jobs bio has just discussed a recent interview with Jobs in which he said that Apple was interested in developing three things:

1. A new concept of Apple TV.
2. Photography
3. Textbooks

No real in-depth explanation of what these terms mean.

Does anyone have any additional info?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Highly doubt Apple will enter the pure camera market, however continued development of iPhone camera tech is likely.

Publication of text books is likely. They have the perfect platform to become an actual publisher and not simply a reseller, and the text book market is screaming for more penetration of ebooks.

Continued development in the AppleTV space is a given

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a strong chance that the point and shoot camera will go the way of 35mm film. With the 4S, people can have all the camera they need without carrying a separate device. Smart phones have cut back on the iPod market, and will affect other markets in the future. At least until something replaces the smart phone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While I expect that phone cameras have, and will continue to cut into the point and shoot market, I doubt they will be replacing it any time soon. Instead you'll see supper cheap point and shoots, so cheap you'll consider them disposable and buy them for the kids. The medium and high end ones will differentiate and advertise (heavily) those features that technology still can't pack into an affordable smart phone.

But yes, the point and shoot market is going to take a hit, just like the game console and netbook market have. Any popular new device and capability is going to impact someone.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 8 mp 4s camera is far better than my brother's $300 point and shoot. I have not carried a camera for over 3 years as my
iPhones have been superior to any PS cameras.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPods are not dead, just not on top as before. The same with 35mm film. The point and shoot will be greatly affected, but there will still be a demand for high end cameras, both digital and 35mm.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ah, entirely my fault. I read more into your comment than you actually said. :eek:

'Go the way of' does not equal 'Go away'. again, sorry.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The TV rumour has been around for a long, long time.
Last I heard they are looking at a 2012 release at around US$1200. The TV will run iOS5 including internal storage and will effectively be an Apple TV with a screen plus the features of a traditional TV.

As far as photography is concerned the iPhone is already the device that has the most number of uploads on Flickr. I'm sure that they will continue to develop the photography aspect of their devices but there is no way you will see an Apple camera like a Nikon camera or a Leica camera.

Textbooks are already being used extensively on the iPad. In Australia there are already schools which are trialling 100% textbook issue via iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts