What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple removed my right to use previously purchased iPad applications

Muzak66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple removed rights on previously purchased iPad apps (now fixed - see below)

I'm serious - let me explain:

This weekend I got a message that my AppleID had been disabled. After research and chat sessions with Apple support, Apple confirmed that my AppleID account was closed "due to fraudulent activity". Apparently the payment info attached to my AppleID (debit card) was compromised and Apple closed my account. Apple asked that I open a new AppleID to use going forward. Further details from Apple regarding my account being closed could not be shared since this is now a data security investigation.

Apple is steadfast on their policy to not merge AppleID accounts. This apparently includes scenarios where the legitimate iPad user is victim to fraudulent use of their AppleID account - once Apple closed the AppleID used to purchase my iPad apps, I can no longer download, restore or update those apps without purchasing them again using my new AppleID.

Apple also informed me that any refund or dispute for payments on these applications that I no longer can effectively use need to go through my credit union or credit card issuer. Since I have had my iPad for almost 2 years it is clear that almost all of my applications fall outside the 60 day card charge-back window.

I understand Apple's reasoning to not enable the merging of AppleID accounts for application rights. But to not have a recourse in place for iPad users if their AppleID becomes compromised is an oversight in Apple's policy that I feel needs to be fixed very soon. The iPad and the associated apps available to the device are truly amazing. I am posting this thread so that the iPad community is aware that there are some components of Apple's App Store usage rights that do not favor the consumer.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does seem odd and on the surface at least, unfair. You don't say how the fraudulent activity was identified and I understand you cannot or do not wish to do so. If, in fact, Apple unilaterally decided that your credit card was being used improperly (and there is no other indication that that is the case), I can understand your annoyance (to put it mildly.) On the other hand, if your card had been used fraudulently to purchase a diamond ring you would not, I presume, go to the jewelry store to request that they either return your money or give you a new ring. Instead, you would expect to be covered by the issuer of the credit card. According to the rules of the card, I presume. That appears to be what Apple is suggesting you do.

Apologies if my comments don't match the content of the url you cited. Admittedly, I didn't take time to read the chat session. But if my assumptions above are correct, I think Apple is acting reasonably. And believe me, I'm not inclined to be an apologist either for Apple or credit card companies. I just think the advice to seek compensation through your credit card company is to be expected.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On the other hand, if your card had been used fraudulently to purchase a diamond ring you would not, I presume, go to the jewelry store to request that they either return your money or give you a new ring.

I would CERTAINLY go to the jewelry store if the jewelry store was somehow able to confiscate my ring.

I can no longer download, restore or update those apps without purchasing them again using my new AppleID.

Based on the OP, it sounds as if he apps purchased under the original account have been, effectively, confiscated. This sounds like a potential problem to me. Is there a way to transfer apps to a new apple account?

I share the same understanding as the OP with regards to seeking remediation through the credit card company...past the 60 day window, there is little recourse to dispute a charge.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK. I should have a rule against posting comments at the end of a long day when I haven't read the OP carefully. In re-reading the story all I can say is that I'm confused. I had assumed that the problem stemmed from fraudulent use of a credit/debit card. Perhaps with Apple, perhaps with someone else.

For example, if my cc is stolen (or compromised in some other way), I would expect to be able to maintain my "iTunes Account" and simply link it to another credit/debit card. And while that hasn't happened to me there have been two cases where someone attempted to use my credit card number for an online purchase. In each case I had to have another card issued and I simply changed card number for merchants (such as ITunes) where my original card was registered.

As noted, this hasn't happened to me but I simply cannot believe that an iTunes account cannot be switched to another payment method without losing access to one's previously purchased apps.

That, however, is not what the OP is saying (apparently.) Instead, he maintains that his "AppleID account" was used fraudulently. I'm not sure what an "AppleID Account" is. iTunes? Or is it another "account" associated solely with Apple? A developer account perhaps? A credit line with Apple? What was the nature of the "fraud?" The OP hasn't shared that information. (Perhaps understandably) But without more information I'm not sure it's possible to evaluate Apple's action. It sounds as if Apple believes the OP, himself, was involved in some sort of fraudulent activity. If so, I can understand the "investigation" the OP mentions and the suspension of activity on his account. But we don't have enough information to determine if that's the case.

Bottom line. If Apple has closed an iTunes account because of fraudulent activity on a credit/debit card and will not allow the victim of the fraud to change the payment method on the account, I can certainly understand his frustration. But if that is a standard practice by Apple I think we would have heard about it long before this. I strongly suspect there is more to this story than has been described.

OP
M

Muzak66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - this is Muzakk 66, the original poster of the thread. I wil do my best to clarify :)

A) I agree that as a standard practice I think we would have heard about this scenario prior to 2012. I suspect this is closely tied to the way Apple is tying iCloud, AppleIDs and iTunes (AppStore) management
B) Yes - the rights to use the iPad applications I purchased using a valid AppleID being confiscated is a good way to describe what has happened. Since Apple has a zero deviation policy (from what I can tell) on transferring the rights to use an application purchased under a previous AppleID to a new AppleID, I am "caught in the middle"
C) According to Apple - "An Apple ID is a user name you can use for everything you do with Apple. Shop the iTunes Store, log in to iChat or iCloud, buy from the Apple Online Store, make a reservation at an Apple Retail Store, access Apple.com support, and more." This is a direct quote from Apple's web site.
D) In my chat sessions with Apple - the only detail that I could pick up was that the credit/debit card associated with my AppleID was used fraudulently (by something or someone other than myself) and so they closed my AppleID according to their terms and conditions.
E) A detail I did not share previously: On Saturday morning January 7th I was trying to figure out why I was getting an AppleID disabled message. I used my iPad to check my App Store settings associated with my AppleID. When I brought up my payment information I viewed a billing address and payment card THAT WAS NOT MINE. I corrected the information to what was legit and was planning to ask Apple why this occurred on Monday morning during the chat session. As you can see from my previous information - we never got to that part since they closed my AppleID and would not discuss further since an investigation is in process.I am just being as honest as possible about what occured based on the information available to me - thank you for the questions so far.

Last edited:
OP
M

Muzak66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more point - if all (or most) of my iPad apps were purchased in the last 60 days, the a chargeback would likely fit this scenario. The problem in this case is that most of my App Store purchases were made over 120 days ago and this falls outside of all known chargeback scenarios. It's a catch 22: to update or restore the apps I have previously purchased and associate them with my new AppleID I need to buy them again. I cannot use or update the App Store purchases using my original AppleID because Apple closed the account at their discretion.

OP
M

Muzak66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
12:30pm January 11, 2012 (Pacific Standard Time)

I have encouraging news for Apple iPad users - Apple's support is alive and well. Today through customer service I was escalated to Apple's AppleID security. Apple had escalated the investigation surrounding my AppleID being closed since they knew there was no viable recourse for me to use the Apps I had purchased. They completed their investigation and through a series of security steps have re-enabled my AppleID. Apple effectively got me back and functional within 3 business days. I'll admit that I started this thread with confusion based on what had been handled up to that point, but I am pleased to report that today Apple has me back on track with my original AppleID.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your experience will help any other unfortunate member who gets high jacked. I too would have wanted things to go faster, but now I hope I'll have more patience.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it worked out, OP.

I figured you were freaking before things had resolved, or Apple thought you were involved in a scam. They wouldn't cut off people who'd been scammed (the victims) because it would make no business sense to do that.

Most reactions