What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Releases iOS 10.3.1 Update

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Apple releases iOS 10.3.1.JPG

9to5 Mac reports that Apple has today released iOS 10.3.1, which brings back support for 32-bit devices, as well as featuring other bug fixes.

When iOS 10.3 was released it did not support 32-bit devices, but that has now been rectified with the latest update, which restores 32-bit device support for iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c. Last week Apple released the iOS 10.3.2 beta 1 for developers. At that time one might have been forgiven for thinking that Apple had missed out on iOS 10.3.1 entirely, but now the reason for the jump to iOS 10.3.2 has been made clear.

Apple’s limited release notes state that the update also fixes a Wi-Fi vulnerability that was found by Gal Beniamini of Google Project Zero, whereby a person with malicious intent that was in range would be able to execute “arbitrary code on the Wi-Fi chip.” Describing how it fixed the vulnerability, Apple said that “a stack buffer overflow was addressed through improved input validation.”

Source: Apple releases iOS 10.3.1 with bug fixes & improved security for iPhone & iPad, incl. 32-bit devices

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since a minor update, just did iCloud backups first, and OTA updates - our 2 iPads & iPhones did well - Dave :)

Marlb10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup did those updates yesterday and all seems to be fine.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I noticed a week or two prior to the public release of 10.3 a high rate of app updates. 10.3.1 followed too close to 10.3 to judge, but I see now a high rate of updates again; several each day. Assuming that developers have access to betas of updates sometime prior to general release, in order to make sure that their apps will be compatible, I wonder if the current updates indicate yet another imminent system update? ... and hence something new on the way? Simply speculating.

(Obviously anyone in the know cannot comment if they want to know about subsequent upates ...)

Marlb10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The recent update has stabilized my iPhone more. The previous one was a bit glitchy and the apps were more often malfunctioning.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed a week or two prior to the public release of 10.3 a high rate of app updates. 10.3.1 followed too close to 10.3 to judge, but I see now a high rate of updates again; several each day. Assuming that developers have access to betas of updates sometime prior to general release, in order to make sure that their apps will be compatible, I wonder if the current updates indicate yet another imminent system update? ... and hence something new on the way? Simply speculating.

(Obviously anyone in the know cannot comment if they want to know about subsequent upates ...)
It doesn't look like iOS 10.3.2 will come very soon.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We're on the third beta now, but there's no way to tell in advance when the next public release will be.
Agreed.
As far as I've noticed, official iOS versions haven been released after making Public and Developer Beta available at the same time, more than once. That hasn't happened yet. Thus my conclusion that the next iOS update won't happen very soon (within the next week). I could be wrong, though.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@ Marlb10 - many of us have certainly updated to that version (10.3.1) - what is your question(s)?

Most reactions