What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Making a Mistake?

GlennTX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If apple kills my Kindle app I'll just unfund my iTunes account and go back to my Kindle 1.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Internet is a fantastic medium because news travels instantly. Why is it that so many people read something and accept that it is a correct statement. In this case it appears the original information was partially correct. The point is wait until information is verified and or other parties respond which in this case is Apple.

One the dust settles we will close this thread

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol it's not the end of civilisation. A lot of unnecessary FUD in the press. Guess they really resent being wrong over the iPad.

Was reading a book in calibre via splashtop this afternoon so assume it will be possible in other formats as well.
Still prefer the feel of a real book in my hands though. Too many years of conditioning.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I used to think this way, but I've changed my mind. I think I'm missing out on all the fun.

From now on I am going to immediately take the offending device and throw it in the trash. Then I''m going go on my blog and write a three page piece trashing the device, the company, and swear to never use their product or name (without taking it in vain) again.

Of course the trash can will be foam padded to prevent possible damage, placed in a computer save environment, and well away from where anyone might accidentally send it to the garbage collector. The blog will, of course, be anonymous, not allow comments, trackbacks, or actual posts.

After all, retracting and backtracking on what you said isn't nearly as much fun.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh come on. People speculate on things, it is human nature. We like to talk about the good things, like what the iPad 2 has is store and we like to talk about things that impact us in a negative way as well. That is all part of the fun. If Apple didn't always keep everything so quiet perhaps things like this wouldn't happen so often. In the end it is all conversation which I thought was the purpose of forums in general.

**Edit: And just to clarify, Apple indeed has responded already which is part of the reason people are talking about this. **

Last edited:
OP
C

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Apple has responded, so I hear. I can't find a link to Apple's actual response, but this is what is going around.

Apple responds to Sony in-app purchase report

So, false alarm, probably.

Maybe, maybe not. The 30% cut is what might scare a few providers off. Or cause an increase in the price of the books.

I see this as a possible power play between Apple and Amazon.

If I was Amazon, I would call their bluff. Pull my app. And what as people throw a fit. Apple just does not have iBooks ready to compete with Amazon. And with the Kindle an Android ready to fill the void, this could backfire on Apple

My two cents, for what they are worth.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given the number of people that obviously complained to Apple about the removal of the screen orientation lock switch, I can't even imagine the impact from something as major as this... if it is true!

Admittedly, I poke some fun at the people who were upset and even mortified over the screen orientation lock switch issue, but this would absolutely be a deal breaker for me if my only choice of electronic publication content providers was only Apple. The reason I wanted in iPad in the first place was so that I could read on a larger format than my iPod Touch.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given the number of people that obviously complained to Apple about the removal of the screen orientation lock switch, I can't even imagine the impact from something as major as this... if it is true!

Admittedly, I poke some fun at the people who were upset and even mortified over the screen orientation lock switch issue, but this would absolutely be a deal breaker for me if my only choice of electronic publication content providers was only Apple. The reason I wanted in iPad in the first place was so that I could read on a larger format than my iPod Touch.

Wow .. you know that is exactly the same reason I wanted an iPad as well? I have been reading electronically since my Palm III days and I saw the iPad as perhaps the ultimate portable electronic reader. I'm not beyond thinking that Apple might have floated this one just to see what the user response would be like before they did something major. Even though I can see the business side of this I have to believe Apple is too smart to actually make a change this major at this time.

Most reactions