What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad May Overtake Amazon Kindle

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
apple-ibooks.jpg

A recent survey of e-book reader owners and those who intend to buy an e-book reader has concluded that Apple’s iPad may soon overtake Amazon’s Kindle, if it provides a compelling enough eReader experience. The report, “US & UK eReader Owner and Intender Survey 2010â€, by Strategy Analytics, concludes that current e-book reader owners say they are very satisfied with their devices, with four out of five US owners preferring e-book readers to physical books.

The report found that potential e-book customers look for the following criteria: ease of access to books, ease of content transfer, and newspaper and magazine availability. “While brand name is still an important factor for current owners when choosing their next e-book reader,†says Chris Schreiner, Senior Analyst at Strategy Analytics. “Consumers buying their first e-book reader will focus more on the durability and availability of e-books.â€

Kevin Nolan, Vice President of the Strategy Analytics User Experience Practice, added, “Even though e-book readers allow for easy portability, more than half of e-book reader usage still occurs at home.â€

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
US and UK eReader Owner and Intender Survey 2010

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
My guess is that ipad owners still will buy a lot less books per person than kindle owners. Kindle is for reading, ipad is for many things. So almost by definition, publishers will sell more books per person to kindle owners than ipad owners. But I wouldn't be surprised to see ipad catch kindle within a year.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a kindle and got my iPad Friday. After a day of use I transferred all my books from my kindle to the iPad app, and bought my first one on iBooks. Consider the kindle gone! :)

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We had two Kindles in our home before the arrival of the iPad. Just before the iPad arrived, I sold one but will keep the other. Inside I'll read with the Kindle app, but outside in sunlight the iPad is impossible while the Kindle excels. I have nearly 200 titles from Amazon to date.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Inside I'll read with the Kindle app, but outside in sunlight the iPad is impossible while the Kindle excels.

True for people, who already have a Kindle. But in Europe Amazon just started marketing the Kindle - and if you order one, it is still shipped from the US....

Most new customers will tend to the iPad, because it can do much more than just reading a book.....

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
My wife and I sold our Sony readers a Week after we got the iPad, and have not looked back. The Kindle app is excellent for reading your Amazon books, and Goodreader is awesome for PDF books. I use the Kobo app for some ePubs (same format as iBook), use the ereader app for my old fictionwise and palm books.....

I would not be surprised at all if the iPad rather quickly overtakes the Kimdle...... Heck, it's probably already past number two Sony.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no doubt that many people will opt for the iPad over the Kindle. Kindle is too expensive for a single application device. And as much of a dedicated reader as I am, I recognize that few others are big readers. I suspect that it is the maturity of magazines for iPads that will be the big seller. You can reach more people with less resources. What is needed from the magazines, is to work out a lower price structure and the number of subscribers will greatly increase. I figure at least two years before that happens.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Speaking of magazines, are there any magazine demos out there now that you can look at now?

headshrink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I sold our Sony readers a Week after we got the iPad, and have not looked back. The Kindle app is excellent for reading your Amazon books, and Goodreader is awesome for PDF books. I use the Kobo app for some ePubs (same format as iBook), use the ereader app for my old fictionwise and palm books.....

I would not be surprised at all if the iPad rather quickly overtakes the Kimdle...... Heck, it's probably already past number two Sony.

I am debating on wether to get an Ipad, a major use would be for ebooks. I also have many ebooks via ereader and microsoft ereader lit, have any of you had success reformatting these onto the Ipad? I heard there is some issue with the font size, or they are blurry. I would greatly appreciate and feedback. Thank u in advance

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
The ereader app does the ereader books. Not only that, but you can get them directly from your bookshelf at Fictionwise or eReader to your iPad. Very easy, and much like a Kindle.

The "lit" files you can convert with Calibre (free software) to ePub and read in iBooks. I have had good luck in the past converting "lit" files.

Most reactions

Latest posts