What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Ipad Jailbreaking really worth it?

Matt Angeles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if it was worth it to jailbreak my 1st gen iPad. I had an iPhone 3GS that I jail broke but it became slower. I feel that apple has restricted a lot of the iPad's capabilities. Although most.of the iPad's features are very nice, I feel like there is something apple can do to make the iPad more exciting.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are plenty of stickie threads here in the hacking section to help you decide.

Also click the link in my sig for a few more reasons...;)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DOOOOOO IIITTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
every chance I get I beg people to jailbreak. They always LOVE it!

And yes, search. I have yelled at like three people in 48 hours about not searching.

JesseDegenerate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'll give you 3 reasons:

5670123853_426f8a0771_b.jpg

5670691154_faf046d29d_b.jpg

5670144971_d333982027_b.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNXnMYXNLSg[/ame]

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are a few reasons to jailbreak:

1. MyWi OnDemand - Turns your WiFi iPad into a 3g iPad (if you have an iphone - this allows on-demand tethering - awesome)
2. SmartScreen - Put widgets on your lock screen!
3. Complete customization (sounds, graphics, etc)
4. iFile, SBSettings, ScrollingBoard, MultiCleaner....

If you haven't heard of any of these, do yourself a favor and do a Google search!

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
Here are a few reasons to jailbreak:

1. MyWi OnDemand - Turns your WiFi iPad into a 3g iPad (if you have an iphone - this allows on-demand tethering - awesome)
2. SmartScreen - Put widgets on your lock screen!
3. Complete customization (sounds, graphics, etc)
4. iFile, SBSettings, ScrollingBoard, MultiCleaner....

If you haven't heard of any of these, do yourself a favor and do a Google search!

#1 intrigues me. So rather than paying Verizon an extra $30+ a month for tethering, if I JB our 1st gen IPads, we can tether for free when we get an IPhone?

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This question was just crossing my mind.

I have taken a dive into jailbreak. I tried it on my iphone 3g. Just about an hour but I am totally disappointed so far. My main reason was to get flash. I searched and found this app/add on for Safari imobilecinema. Installed it but every flash video site I go to and try to play gives me a broken vid icon.

I keep searching but that is the only one I have seen.

I am glad I tried it on my iphone first. Unless things change, I won't bother to jailbreak ipad.

I can't jailbreak for backgrounds.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Biggysmallz said:

I have taken a dive into jailbreak. I tried it on my iphone 3g. Just about an hour but I am totally disappointed so far. My main reason was to get flash. I searched and found this app/add on for Safari imobilecinema. Installed it but every flash video site I go to and try to play gives me a broken vid icon.

I am glad I tried it on my iphone first. Unless things change, I won't bother to jailbreak ipad.

I'm afraid if your main reason for jailbreaking is flash you will be sorely disappointed. Thats one thing you cant get to any satisfactory degree via JB. Also, a 3G is not a great test device due to the fact it is already underpowered and short of resources compared to todays devices. Hope you find some reasons to try the ipad by looking through this sections threads and stickies...

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Biggysmallz said:

I'm afraid if your main reason for jailbreaking is flash you will be sorely disappointed. Thats one thing you cant get to any satisfactory degree via JB. Also, a 3G is not a great test device due to the fact it is already underpowered and short of resources compared to todays devices. Hope you find some reasons to try the ipad by looking through this sections threads and stickies...

Pity I didn't get this advice before. Thanks for the confirmation.

I already have the Ipad2. Had the ipad1 also. Don't get me wrong, love my ipad but i find that flash is becoming a deal breaker for me. Maybe it is a phase. Eying the Palybook now.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dawgluver said:
#1 intrigues me. So rather than paying Verizon an extra $30+ a month for tethering, if I JB our 1st gen IPads, we can tether for free when we get an IPhone?

Short answer- Yes!

MyWi OnDemand will set you back a one time fee of $25. Then, as long as your iPhone and iPad are jailbroken, have MyWi installed and bluetooth enabled on both devices, it's all automatic... Say you are in a car and you wanted to check something on the internet on your wifi-only iPad... Just turn it on! It will detect there is no wifi service and then automatically connect to your iPhone via bluetooth in order to use it's 3G service. Then when you turn the iPad off, it disconnects from the iPhone, thereby saving battery life while "sleeping". It really does work well.

Pretty expensive for a Cydia app, but it's well worth it in my opinion! It's fully compatible with 4.3.2 as well....

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dawgluver said:

Short answer- Yes!

MyWi OnDemand will set you back a one time fee of $25. Then, as long as your iPhone and iPad are jailbroken, have MyWi installed and bluetooth enabled on both devices, it's all automatic... Say you are in a car and you wanted to check something on the internet on your wifi-only iPad... Just turn it on! It will detect there is no wifi service and then automatically connect to your iPhone via bluetooth in order to use it's 3G service. Then when you turn the iPad off, it disconnects from the iPhone, thereby saving battery life while "sleeping". It really does work well.

Pretty expensive for a Cydia app, but it's well worth it in my opinion! It's fully compatible with 4.3.2 as well....

I am interested in your last comment.
You mentioned 4.3.2 compatibility: Is the jailbreak for that out yet? And I am talking about for the ipad2.

Most reactions