What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad gets the new Gmail app

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
gmail-ipad-app.png

It’s a no brainer why iOS users have been without an official Gmail up since day one. Obviously because the “G†in Gmail stands for Google. Thus, Android phone would be expected to receive the better mobile version of the app in the same way that the YouTube client on Android gives users the option to see videos in crystal clear quality. Apple has not seemed too keen of having a second e-mail client on its iPhones. And after reading Steve Jobs biography, it’s now very clear that the relationships between the two companies hasn’t been exactly friendly.

Nevertheless, you can now get your hands on the latest version of the Google Mobile App, so you can set your iPhone to receive Push Notification each time you get a new Gmail message or when you have a Google Calendar alter. Google has managed to sneak into tablets its Gmail app as well. While surfing on the web on your iPad, it’s expected you will want to check your Gmail. Now if you go to gmail.com in your browser, you’ll see something different than what you’re used to on the desktop. Google is releasing an experimental user interface for the iPad built on the Gmail for mobile HTML 5. To take advantage of the iPad’s large display, they created a two-pane view with your list of conversations on the left and messages to the right.

If we’re curious, we can probably take a look of how the app will look from most Android phones currently out there on the market and still wonder what will make it different from their already quite beautiful web version?

Source: T3

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Short-lived.

As reported on several Websites.

Google has pulled its iOS Gmail app just hours after it launched, citing a bug which crippled its functionality.
"Unfortunately, it contained a bug which broke notifications and caused users to see an error message when first opening the app," Google's Gmail team explained.
"Sorry we messed up," the Gmail team added on Twitter.

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well the current mail app on I pad is very good.i won't be downloading the gmail app even if it was good.

theater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Short-lived.

As reported on several Websites.

Google has pulled its iOS Gmail app just hours after it launched, citing a bug which crippled its functionality.
"Unfortunately, it contained a bug which broke notifications and caused users to see an error message when first opening the app," Google's Gmail team explained.
"Sorry we messed up," the Gmail team added on Twitter.

Well, at least they owned up to their mistake. Others would not even comment about it.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really look forward to the app being released, as I think the contact part must be a nice to have.

KintasS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anybody know when this app will be back in the App Store? I thought it was going to be up again in a few hours after the mistake they made, but it's been a week and nothing (or at least I didn't hear nothing about it...).

Thx!

afc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 waiting for this app and would be great if it looks like the one they have for nokias

Why looking forward to it? Mainly to have Password protection...and also always prefer to have the software house's own apps so this way you are not required to enter your passwords on 3rd paties apps :) no I am not paranoid about it at all :)

Cheers
AC

Sent from my iPhone

cindykenward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have set up my G-Mail as an Exchange on my I devices. This way they are all in sync with each other. I love it.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use gmail as a vast, largely unsorted repository of emails. I forward corporate and personal email to it automatically. And I use the gmail account as an email address for a variety of sites that I don't want to clog up my usual inbox. Google's search facility is superb and I can almost always find some obscure email that I've long since deleted from my system at home. When I purchased the iPad I simply linked the email client to my gmail account. Works well for checking recent emails and responding quickly if I'm out and about.

Where this approach fails and I'm hoping a real Gmail app will succeed is in mail maintenance. The latest version of the iPad email app at least enables a limited search capability, i.e. show me all the emails from iPad Forum. What it does NOT allow me to do is to select the entire set of emails returned from a search and do something (like delete) with them. For that I have to log into the browser version of gmail. It's annoying.

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it's back and it looks good so far. I got it on my iPhone and iPad. I guess time will tell.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
That's odd. Can't find it in the App Store.

Try gmail or google IOS

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
Try gmail or google IOS

Better try google mail.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use apple mail however there are times when I like to log in direct and for example delete emails or do other maintenance.

The new version seems fine no issues so far.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
I use apple mail however there are times when I like to log in direct and for example delete emails or do other maintenance.

The new version seems fine no issues so far.

It's nice, but sending attaches to other apps through safari isn't good for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts