What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad deserves a lawsuit?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is nonsense, and anyone who expects any electronic device to handle direct sunlight is dillusional. Common sense is getting to be a rare commodity. Any electrical component has a limited tolerance for heat. To combat the inherent heat issue, numerous methods are deployed. The more you do, the higher battery drain needed, and the more bulk to deal with. Laptops never made reasonable alternatives until they were able to design heat sinks that replaced fan systems.

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's ridiculous and I'm ashamed our country is known for suing at the drop of a hat.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
It is nonsense, and anyone who expects any electronic device to handle direct sunlight is dillusional. Common sense is getting to be a rare commodity. Any electrical component has a limited tolerance for heat. To combat the inherent heat issue, numerous methods are deployed. The more you do, the higher battery drain needed, and the more bulk to deal with. Laptops never made reasonable alternatives until they were able to design heat sinks that replaced fan systems.

I couldn't agree more. Try taking an expensive camera or video recording device out in the sun and see what happens to it. We've lost all common sense, I'm afraid.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Damn we need to start a class action against ice-cream manufacturers.......
We'll all be rich!

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Apple deserves a lawsuit for iPad overheating problem! Right?

Wrong, my overheating one time due to me using it at lunch in my car in 90 degree weather (in a case).

Now if they are contantly overheating it may be a hardware issue and in that case if they can show Apple support that it indeed happens they should be intitled to a full refund plus any interest they may have incurred on their credit cards.

Has anyone noticed that almost all of these class action lawsuits start in California? To me it's just filing lawsuits and seeing what sticks. Payday for the lawyers but everyone gets 35 cents in damages.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want compensation. Apple said the iPad would be a revolution, but I havent seen a revolution yet. No overthrow of the government is underway. We've been had!!!

Dan Diego

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is nonsense, and anyone who expects any electronic device to handle direct sunlight is dillusional.
I'm not looking for an argument, but Kindle is an electronic device and it does quite well in direct sunlight. I'm just saying ...

lilrabbit129

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is nonsense, and anyone who expects any electronic device to handle direct sunlight is dillusional.
I'm not looking for an argument, but Kindle is an electronic device and it does quite well in direct sunlight. I'm just saying ...

The kindle was designed to be read out in the sun. Some of there commercials even advertise this. The iPad is a much more complicated device, and is more delicate when it comes to heat. Even in the specs it mentions at operating temp of 90 something degrees. In direct sunlight you can easily top that.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can read on the iPad in direct sun. Its not an unlimited capability, but I have done it. I sat out by the pool in 92-93deg in the sun for a couple of hours reading and surfing the web with the iPad in a case.

So yes, there are limits to the marketing claims made by Apple. They werent lying when they said you can read on just like a book. Obviously a book never has a battery life. Books can withstand temps up to 400deg and still work. You can drop a book off a building and it still works. You can pound a book with a hammer. Obviously Apple wasnt claiming that the iPad is exactly the same as a book in every way. Its common sense.

If people are unhappy with the iPad's limitations, they should be able to return them and buy a Kindle or something else that works better for them.

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Although they're unlikely to lose this suit, Apple could have avoided this nuisance altogether had they only included an Operating Temperature range on their enclosed product information sheet like most all electronics manufacturers do.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And who reads the technical specifications on electronics? Our society is too much into finding what something cannot do, rather than being amazed at what it can do.

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And who reads the technical specifications on electronics? Our society is too much into finding what something cannot do, rather than being amazed at what it can do.

Anyone expecting to win a lawsuit reads them and anyone expecting to avoid a lawsuit includes them.

Most reactions

Latest posts