What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad 2 - Big deal or not?

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This seems to be a pretty small incremental change if the rumors are to be believed. We'll see a slight performance bump, the camera support (which, with facetime might be the biggest deal) and some other slight improvements.

Nothing game changing, IMHO... do you think it will be a big deal?

Also... iPad2 or iPad 2? Not sure how I like to even see it named.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...or maybe iPadII!

Personally I am waiting to see exactly what features it will have before I decide whether or not to give my trusty ol' iPadI the heave ho. For me, the bigger issue is Apple's relationship with Amazon and the other electronic publication distributors that will determine my next mobile device purchase. If Apple were to sever their ties with Amazon, that would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMHO it is nothing special. It is most definitely not worth upgrading to if you already have an iPad. For newcomers....sure.

"A fool and their money are soon parted" - Comes to mind.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMHO it is nothing special. It is most definitely not worth upgrading to if you already have an iPad. For newcomers....sure.

"A fool and their money are soon parted" - Comes to mind.

I'm not a lucky iPad owner yet, I been reading a lot and I mean a LOT for the past 3 month and I definitely agreed with your opinion.

Me as a new comer (patiently awaiting since November) its a no brainer to wait if is possible but if I was having the iPad now I will had to wait for a little more goodies in a future Gen. and not go for the iPad 2 (iPad2 or iPadII) now.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, no real Game changimg features. Its only slight performance increase and gonna have the cam for facetime or video chat. The cam is what has me contimplating. Lots of members in my family have SPrint Evo phones n video chat with each other all the time. I know i would video chat alot if i get the new ipad. NOW, if there was a cam to be made available for the current generation, i would stay with what i have now.
This ipad would be wayyy more of a big deal if they included a quad core processor. I forgot the name of the tablet that is gonna have it. They coming with quadcore processor when most mobile devices finally getting dualcore..lol. I have read that they say dual core or 1.2GHz processor is sufficient for tsblets and anymore would be overkill. Id rather have the overkill because these new apps are becoming more demanding and already push the ipad to the max. Dual core feauture is supposedly gonna make enrgy/power management more efficient and better.
Another feature i see good in the ipad2 is the more memory feature. Meaning its probaly gonna be double of what the current generation uses and be able to multitask more or more efficient. Programs will run faster, IMO, with more mem availble to use. If it has a SD card slot or usb socket, then that will be a mojor selling point also. People are mad how apple changed the voltage output thru the usb camera connection kit. The reasoning for it is b.s. Lmfao. They just realized people were doing alot thru it and cutting back the voltage output would regulate use from non apple products. Figures..lol

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm after the performance bump and the back facing camera. I wouldn't buy it for the performance alone, but the camera is a big deal for me.

It wil help me do some things I've wanted or struggled with.

Inventory: hate having to take pictures and add them later.
Cheap (in all senses) document scanner: Not good, but better than nothing.
Bar codes scanning apps: For library and inventory entry.
Google Googles: because it's cool.
And augmented reality apps: Just because they are cool.

I also might be able to sneak a few pictures of my relatives without them covering their faces.

I couldn't care less about face time. I barely use the phone as a phone now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That was based on something found in an API of the 4.3 iOS pre-release. Last rumor I heard was 3MP, small but probably good enough for what I want.

Seriously. Can you imagine Apple putting a 1MP camera on the back of the iPad? On the front, maybe, but the back?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This seems to be a pretty small incremental change if the rumors are to be believed. We'll see a slight performance bump, the camera support (which, with facetime might be the biggest deal) and some other slight improvements.

Nothing game changing, IMHO... do you think it will be a big deal?

Also... iPad2 or iPad 2? Not sure how I like to even see it named.

But that is completely expected by Apples release schedule. They do a big refresh then a small boost then a big refresh then a small boost...they never do a big change 1 year after release....especially for a new product like the iPad.

This one will be small, camera, maybe a little more ram for multitask support....probably more storage, and probably a verizon version. But thats about it. Late this summer expect to see a MacPad finally surface with the announcement of OSX Lion! Trust me, once that thing comes out I will be getting one!!

We shall see if iPad keeps the iOS or if it will be replace by Lion completely...I think they will keep the iOS format tho to have an affordable option....but with all the iOS features finding its way into Lion and potentially being able to run your iOS apps on Lion this could be a total game changer!!

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was based on something found in an API of the 4.3 iOS pre-release. Last rumor I heard was 3MP, small but probably good enough for what I want.

Seriously. Can you imagine Apple putting a 1MP camera on the back of the iPad? On the front, maybe, but the back?

LOL!!!!! Yes. Yes I can. I hope that the 3MP is the correct information on it. ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

LOL!!!!! Yes. Yes I can. I hope that the 3MP is the correct information on it. ;)

Well, actually I'm hoping for the same camera as the iPhone 4. From all reports it does a pretty good job.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it'g got to be better then the Motorola Xoom. that features an 8 megapixel camera and a 1 megapixel video chat cameral It also features an 800.00 price tag.

But even if it's better then the Xoom I'm to cheap to purchase another iPad. Maybe in 2 years I might.

On second thought, that may be only a 5 megapixel camera on that Xoom. I remember thinking it's the same as on my D2.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, actually I'm hoping for the same camera as the iPhone 4. From all reports it does a pretty good job.

I agree completely. :D

Hookbill: Oh come on!! Buy us all a new iPad 2!!!! :D

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was excited until I found out it wasn't going to have any higher resolution screen. The iPhone4 screen absolutely blows away the iPad and I want my iPad to be similar. That one option would make me upgrade on day 1.

To me, the best part of the new iPad is the lighter weight and smaller size. Who cares about a camera if you have a smartphone? Most people who can afford a tablet already have a smartphone that is easier for video calling and photo taking.

Most reactions

Latest posts