What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Has Started iPad 2 Production According to Sources

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
ipad-2-case.JPG

Apple has set the wheels of production for the iPad 2 in motion, according to a report on The Wall Street Journal today. The report mysteriously cites “people familiar with the matter†as saying that Apple has already started production on the second version of the iPad. The WSJ says that according to their sources, many of the rumours that we’ve been hearing over the past couple of months are actually right on the money, as the iPad 2 will be thinner, lighter, have a faster processor and more memory, as well as a front-facing camera. The report doesn't mention a back-facing camera, although that’s not to say it won’t still have one. And although the new iPad will have a more powerful graphics processor, the screen resolution will be “similar†to that of the current iPad, so it looks like those recent rumours that said that the iPad 2 will not be getting a Retina Display were correct.

Very interestingly, The Wall Street Journal says that it has also learned that the new iPad will only be available via Verizon and AT&T, and not Sprint Nextel or T-Mobile USA, or any other provider, for that matter.

Needless to say, Apple declined to make any comment on the report!

Source: Apple's New iPad in Production - WSJ.com

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. I so want one!! If Gentlefury pops in here and says he is getting one ~ when he already is getting 2 ~ TWO ~ iPhones to my 0, ZERO.

So not fair, Maura.:D

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm ready for iPad 2!!! I been patiently (wish is easy) awaiting for the release date!

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinner, lighter, faster, facetime camera, better speaker, and curved back are the rumors - if true, I will be getting a next generation iPad when it comes out.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've always heard it would have a flat back, rather than curved. If they're mounting hardware on the back like a camera, wouldn't that be more problematic with a curved surface? The gentle slope of the current model makes it comfortable to hold without case, but it seems like very few people do that, so I could see them justifying going to flat.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay so the goal is to get a verizon iPad so those of us with late AT&T can finally have unlimited internet use!!

This is good, because I don't use my iPad nearly as much as I'd like, simply because of data caps.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel for my friends in USA as we can purchase the iPad from Apple unlocked. I assume that is not the case in USA yes when the new iPad 2 comes to Australia I will upgrade and keep my current iPad for the family.

Cheers from down under. Where only with in one month in Queensland a river can flood 34000 homes in Brisbane and local areas and a category 5 cyclone can rage for 7 hours in northern Queensland consuming any thing in it's path

Smile we are strong. , healthy and wise. Tomorrow is another day

Last edited:

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel for my friends in USA as we can purchase the iPad from Apple unlocked. I assume that is not the case in USA

every iPad in the US is sold unlocked.

Even the ones sold by Verizon and AT&T.

The tricky thing is though, is that Verizon and AT&T try and get people to sign a two year contract when buying an iPad. A friend of mine who is from Europe was told by AT&T that they couldn't sell her an iPad because she didn't have a social security number (they wanted to run her credit and put her on a contract). Sadly, it's not a requirement to have your credit checked to buy an iPad as most of us know, but apparently some stores are choosing to. She went into an Apple store and bought hers there with no fuss.

Fifty50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadprices.eu
What about current iPad Prices

Do you think as soon as the iPad 2 launch date is announced and some say it will be tomorrow (Feb 14th), that current ipad prices will drop as every retailer tries to unload their stock?

Will the iPad one will stay on sale after launch of the iPad 2?

Most reactions