What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple case dyed my Invisible shield!!

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed my Zagg shield on christmas day, and left it over night.

The next day day it was fine, no bubbles, great. So I put it in the case and carried on as normal awaiting the arrival of my Zaggmate.

I look at it today and the back of my iPad has blue dye over it. A dyed imprint of the Latch(the bit the front cover slots into), a dyed imprint of the flap that tucks in, and dyed imprints around the charging port, headphones and volume buttons.

So I tried to clean it off but it wouldn't budge, even with nail polish remover (Don't clean the shield with this ever it removes the sheen off of the shield and consequently ruins it)

So I thought uh oh it's on the actual iPad, so I removed the back shield and to my delight it wasn't! :)

Has this happened to anyone else?? I want to put a shield on again to protect it when it's in the Zaggmate but I don't want to waste my money if this is going to happen again!

Cheers

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's on this forum somewhere but I don't remember where. It's a known issue with the Apple case unfortunately. I use OtterBox products so I haven't personally experienced this.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's on this forum somewhere but I don't remember where. It's a known issue with the Apple case unfortunately. I use OtterBox products so I haven't personally experienced this.

Seriously?? I did search but didn't fond anything! Ah well time for another case then!

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a griffin case for $32 at walmart. Its much easier to remove the case from two elastic straps.

I like my pad naked at home, and covered on the go. So it's nice for me.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've heard from an individual a few months ago who used the Zagg invisishield, that it yellowed over time. I don't know this to be true personally, as I've never used Zagg's film, but he said that he is currently using something similar from another company called iShields, that he said doesn't yellow.

Not sure if it's related, but based on this, it sounds plausible that the Zagg shield absorbs colors or dyes upon contact.

I personally use an antiglare shield bought from Walmart that shows no change in color after months of use, and that's even after having it in Apple's case several times during travel.

Anyone else with a Zagg shield that can confirm color transfer to the film? I've never seen any color transferred from my iPad case to anything that I've noticed.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Seriously?? I did search but didn't fond anything! Ah well time for another case then!

Yeah. I have never seen anything discussing this issue, either.:confused:

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yeah. I have never seen anything discussing this issue, either.:confused:
ha. search google for Ipad blue dye! then your see, I just found out a little too late...

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPad official case leaves my iPad blue ...

Apple case turning iPad blue? [Archive] - MacRumors Forums

and the best...

InvisibleShield + Apple Case = Blue Marks? - MacRumors Forums

that could actually be mine! lol

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup.

Blue markings here too.
I would probably have left the Apple case on most of the time, without this problem.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've heard you can remove it with an artists eraser, or magic eraser??

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I can confirm that over time tha zagg shield does turn yellow and does get died blue from the APPLE iPad case. I have replaced my zagg for my iPad 4 times. The yellowing doesn't, IMO, effect the screen color of distort images. you can tell once the zagg us removed how yellow it is! I believe it depends on how much you use it (dirty) the do sell a cleaning product to disinfect the zagg. I can not comment if it solves the yellow or blue problem have not tried it personally! I have a friend with his zagg on his ipad and we replace our at the same time. Mine is pretty yellow but his is never even on his iPhone. I have sweaty palms so maybe that is it? It is something that I can deal with.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:
4 times?? How long have you had your iPad??

Lol since launch I just get mad when it's not perfect on there like it will peal! And I got to take advantage of the warranty I have done it 3 times for my iPhone but I think I prefer the iPhone with out the zagg.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Zagg shield and a Targus Truss with the blue interior. My iPad back is fine. Have had my iPad since late November so I can't comment on yellowing of the Invisible Shield at this point-certainly not there now.

Nexo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
few questions? does this shield go on the back of the iPad? was it the shield or the actual ipad that was "dyed"?

Most reactions