What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple BT keyboard with iOS5 revision B?

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know if the rev. B works now with iOS 5. Are the upper function keys working again like they do with Rev. A?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Me too, curious that is. I'm guessing that the revision mentioned is the last letter of the serial number. Both of mine are A, so I can't answer the question.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm - just want to join this thread - not even sure what Apple BT KB that I own (seems to be no option w/i the settings menu to indicate?) - but just opened Pages, and only the Brightness (F1 & F2) and the Volume F keys seem to work w/ that app - have not done any more testing, but will await other responses - :)

OP
E

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hmm - just want to join this thread - not even sure what Apple BT KB that I own (seems to be no option w/i the settings menu to indicate?) - but just opened Pages, and only the Brightness (F1 & F2) and the Volume F keys seem to work w/ that app - have not done any more testing, but will await other responses - :)

I think it's on the box as the last letter of the serial # as A or B. Since most stores mostly have the B's now which have the updated software those top function keys were said to only work after iOS 5.

The serial # if it's the B at the end is best read on the label on the box because if it's on the keyboard it's printed so lightly it's practically unreadable.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think it's on the box as the last letter of the serial # as A or B. Since most stores mostly have the B's now which have the updated software those top function keys were said to only work after iOS 5.

The serial # if it's the B at the end is best read on the label on the box because if it's on the keyboard it's printed so lightly it's practically unreadable.

Well, did find the KB box and there are a bunch of ID numbers and all have 'A' for my keyboard, so I'm assuming that my comments apply to that version, but would be curious about the newer B models - can the firmware in an Apple KB is ungraded? :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, did find the KB box and there are a bunch of ID numbers and all have 'A' for my keyboard, so I'm assuming that my comments apply to that version, but would be curious about the newer B models - can the firmware in an Apple KB is ungraded? :)

I think you may be confused. If you have the 'A' keyboard you're good. It's the people who purchased the later 'B' keyboard who ran into problems with some keys not operating correctly. For those folks, the volume and brightness keys did NOT work. The problem was diagnosed as being an undocumented change in the keyboard (rev B) to support iOS 5 (which had not yet been released.) If you're hoping that other (iPad specific) keys will work on the Apple Wireless Keyboard you're out of luck (AFAIK). Responses to keys pressed along with the Fn key, for example, are under the control of apps and most don't take advantage of them.

Sorry for the confusion. Hope this clears it up.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
JSH1120 - thanks for your response - just trying to determine which KB I owned - actually not that important to me for my needs, but certainly a topic that might be of interest to others! :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JSH1120 - thanks for your response - just trying to determine which KB I owned - actually not that important to me for my needs, but certainly a topic that might be of interest to others! :)

Not my problem either. I have "rev A." But a couple of months ago a poster (sorry I don't recall his name) brought up the fact that his new Apple Wireless Keyboard didn't work. After a considerable number of people suggested he didn't know how to use a keyboard, it turned out that that the problem was associated with Apple changing the keyboard without telling anyone. Supposedly this was to make it compatible with Lion on the Mac products and the speculation was that iOS 5 would resolve the problem on the iPad.

OP
E

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a problem for me if I buy one for my office and it arrives as the revison B model and is not as functional as the two A models I already own.
Same question is still on the table: Does anyone who owns the B model know if the iPod, screen brightness and speaker keys function now with iOS 5?

I'll search around Apple's website to see if this has been resolved yet before I order.
This was a post on Apple support but some of the keys are not fuctional on the B over the A revision:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4773

This post was an alert by an Amazon purchaser of the B revision product:
Amazon Customer Review:

6 of 7 people found the following review helpful:
Function keys don't work on latest version for iPad, September 9, 2011
By*Sfguy
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Apple Wireless Keyboard (Personal Computers)
A word of caution! The function keys for the newest version just purchased from this site don't work with the ipad2. This apparently doesn't apply to earlier versions but it does to the ones they are currently selling. It appears to be a software problem with the model mc1844ll/b model. While trying to sort this out I went to the apple site and there is a long discussion string on this with a lot of frustration. There was speculation that a future software upgrade for the iPad may fix it but the apple folks apparently just said too bad, do you want a refund and won't explain even though their ads state that the function keys (brightness, volume, etc.) work with the iPad but they don't with the current recently released model. Two stars for it being nice looking and nice touch on the main keys but not four or five for not living up to advertisements and not testing this before releasing a new model.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just saw a post on another board from an owner of the Rev B version indicating that iOS 5 eliminates the problems with the volume and brightness keys on the Apple Wireless Keyboard.

Most reactions