What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple - Antitrust violation?

xlar54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folks, read this: Magnuson-Moss and Sherman & Clayton Antitrust Law acts

This act basically states that a manufacturer can not imply a contract with you to purchase only their consumable products, and not doing so voids your warranty. Often cited in the inkjet refill industry (so printer makers can not void your warranty for using a remanufactured cartridge).

I assert that software is no different. You should not be forced to only execute code you purchase from Apple, else your warranty is void. This is unlike any other computer system that I know of. (ie you can run 3rd party software even on a Mac and they dont do this). The courts have ruled that jailbreaking is legal, but now its time they are forced to accept third party software as a viable business without destroying your hardware warranty. Some may say that AppStore code is 3rd party software, but indeed if you are selling a product through the AppStore, you are effectively subcontracting through them. They must approve of your code, and profit from your code.

Thoughts?

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
The printers now use DMCA to keep their monopoly on cartridges. That has not yet been overturned and there is a better argument for using DMCA for software. So I don't think your argument really will fly. By the way it was the Library of Congress (which was given the authority via the DMCA) that said jailbreaking was legal, not the courts. And it did not say the software to jailbreak was legal. So there is still a legal grey area.

Most reactions