What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Announces iOS 8, Here are Some of the Most Important New Features

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ios8-620x327.png

Many were expecting perhaps a new iPhone or better yet, the iWatch, but while these were mostly rumors and speculation, with no serious leaks or other realistic information to back them up, the star of the show was iOS 8. It’s been launched with many new features and improvements, of course, and here are some of the most notable ones:

Continue reading @ Apple Announces iOS 8, Here are Some of the Most Important New Features - iPhone Forums

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does the change in Photos mean that we will be able to label photos?

Bobbi

I saw nothing that suggested you could. But it may have been too minor a feature for Apple to include in the keynote. There are lots lots of little changes that are only found later, either by beta testers (who aren't supposed to talk about it) or after it's released.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish one of these updates Apple will finally will figure put how to include numbers on the keypad without having to hit the .?123 key.

Sent from my IPAD 4th generation. WIFI only. 128GB

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are other iOS 8 features announced which will lead to amazing app innovation we haven't even thought of yet that when they emerge will blow our minds. Apple has read the market so well with iOS 8. Its the 3rd part apps that power iOS device sales (although the devices are pretty cool and amazing too). Highlights for me are:
- thousands of new APIs enabling new apps to make much more use of inbuilt iOS capability
- massive new capability to enable apps to interconnect, embed each others UIs and share each others data... no longer will apps be like isolated pools.

And to answer WitchOneSalem's question... Apple has gone one better: In iOS 8 it will allow system-wide 3rd party keyboards... so by the time iOS 8 makes its public launch its almost certain that a third party developer will have a keyboard in the app store with a numbers row in it. Hopefully there'll also be one available with up/down/left/right arrow keys too :)

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 8 will become available this fall and it will be compatible with the following devices:
  • iPhone 4S
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPhone 5C
  • iPhone 5
  • iPod Touch 5th generation
  • iPad 2
  • iPad with Retina Display
  • iPad Air
  • iPad Mini
  • iPad Mini with retina display
Does this mean that the iOS 8 will NOT be available for the iPad 3?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's covered under iPad with Retina Display.

iPad 3 and 4 were never official Apple names. They called them the New iPad, iPad generation 3 and 4, or iPad with Retina Display.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As usual for older devices and the wise, wait until the first (or second) version of the new iOS is out, and listen to what the early adopters say.

That said, I'm seldom that patient.

Well I see that the update has a lot of new features, but I doubt the iPad 2 will have all of it. I am not very patient so I guess I'm a dead man. I will just wait for a few days and will update if everything goes dandy.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well I see that the update has a lot of new features, but I doubt the iPad 2 will have all of it. I am not very patient so I guess I'm a dead man. I will just wait for a few days and will update if everything goes dandy.

A few days is usually easier anyway. The load on Apple's servers usually drops off enough that you can complete the update in one try. :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wish one of these updates Apple will finally will figure put how to include numbers on the keypad without having to hit the .?123 key. Sent from my IPAD 4th generation. WIFI only. 128GB

You and me both. Just a few keyboard tweaks is all I really care about. The email program is finally being made better though... That was another one that felt old and somewhat useless.

Most reactions

Latest posts