What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple – dumping Intel chips by 2017?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
apple-arm-chip.jpg

Bloomberg reported today some rumors which seem to indicate that in the near future, Apple will renounce the partnership with Intel and will drop their chip architecture standard in favor of their own design. The year predicted for this transition has been set to 2017. Apparently Cupertino is slowly trying to distance itself from all collaborators in order to start in-house production of the units needed to build their popular devices.

Apple just introduced its own and very powerful Apple A6 ARM processor that comes with the iPhone 5 and the freshly released fourth generation iPad. But what the tech giant is really going after is implementing its processors and chips into future generations of desktops and laptops like the Mac line. By doing this Apple might end up inspiring others, but there’s no surprise there. Sergis Mushell an analyst working with Gartner Inc commented:

“Apple is a trendsetter, and once they did their own chip many others may pursue a similar path. “If mobility is more important than functionality, then we will have a completely different environment than we are dealing with today.â€

Apple’s love affair with Intel started seven years ago, when Cupertino wanted to implement faster and cooler chips into their products. To do so, it dumped the partnership it had with Motorola Inc, and IBM. Apple plans to make increasingly smaller and thinner products without axing any performance parameters and producing their own chips might be a consequence of this trend.

When asked to comment on the matter at hand, spokesman for Apple, Bill Evans declined to answer and Intel indicated that all questions should go to Cupertino.

By Radu

Source - Apple Said to Be Exploring Switch From Intel for Mac - Bloomberg

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds as if Apple is working toward going solo....next we will hear they are going to make their own screens.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really hope this never happens. Watching the switch from PowerPC to Intel was bad enough. But going from Intel to ARM will make sure I never buy another Apple PC again.

Of course I would still buy iPhones, iPads and iPods. I ain't crazy ;)

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skull One said:
I really hope this never happens. Watching the switch from PowerPC to Intel was bad enough. But going from Intel to ARM will make sure I never buy another Apple PC again.

Of course I would still buy iPhones, iPads and iPods. I ain't crazy ;)

Why was the switch from power pc to intel bad, many people felt it was a good more, even bill gates was surprised and amazed by how quickly the conversion was done, now that says a lot, as in SJ pulling a jijitsu move on windows :)

RIP Steve Jobs 

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more clear in my statement. The switch was the best thing that could happen technology and software wise. But the switch over itself was painful in the sense that a lot of people had to buy new hardware and then buy new versions of their software once the PowerPC and backwards compatibility was completly dropped. Unless of course they wanted to stay on a very outdated version of OSX with security holes that would never be patched.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skull One said:
Sorry, I should have been more clear in my statement. The switch was the best thing that could happen technology and software wise. But the switch over itself was painful in the sense that a lot of people had to buy new hardware and then buy new versions of their software once the PowerPC and backwards compatibility was completly dropped. Unless of course they wanted to stay on a very outdated version of OSX with security holes that would never be patched.

Now that makes sense, sorry as i never had any apple computers apart from the current macbook pro i wasnt aware about the incompability you talk about when the powerpc to intel changes took place. I suppose the old mac hardware users had to buy new computers to keep up and moved on.

RIP Steve Jobs 

Most reactions