What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App update freeze

Rosellainoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a few apps that are uodating. They have been updating for 24 hours! They seem to be frozen. How do i cancel and try again. It seems to be slowing down internet speed but is not actually updating the apps.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you tap on them to get them going again? I would try a restart/reset to fix this.
Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. Now see if it is operating. If not a reset is the next step, don't worry this is just like rebooting a computer and will change nothing.
Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.
Let us know how you go.

OP
Rosellainoz

Rosellainoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything is still the same. When it is restart should all the apps running in the background (that appear at the bottom when I slide 4 fingers up) be fully shutdown? I thought they did last time I did a restart but not this time so maybe I am doing that wrong.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rosellainoz said:
Everything is still the same. When it is restart should all the apps running in the background (that appear at the bottom when I slide 4 fingers up) be fully shutdown? I thought they did last time I did a restart but not this time so maybe I am doing that wrong.

Yes a restart should close all those apps but they will stay in the multi task bar until you clear them. Did you do the reset?
We've had a few reports of problems with updating and downloading lately, some have been because there has been a download waiting in iTunes, so have a look here and see if you have any downloads pending, just delete them if you have and then go back and press on the update all tab and see if this has fixed it. Let us know how you go.

OP
Rosellainoz

Rosellainoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have discovered that when an app is in process of being updated a click on it will pause that update.
I paused all apps in progress and released them one at a time until all apps were updated. It may be an issue with my new ISP. I had to change when I moved house and the new connection is not as good as the previous one but is the best I can get in my new area. Wish me luck in future.

OP
Rosellainoz

Rosellainoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm but now I have read all replies to this...... It may be an issue with iTunes. Perhaps a combination of iTunes and my ISP. No matter I think I have solved my issue.

KhamulNazgulTM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if none of that works? I have an app that froze during an update. I tried switching my iPad off and on again, I reset all the settings. I thought that it would maybe start when I update other apps - they all updated alright, but that one particular remains frozen no matter what I do. I have no downloads in iTunes. What else can I do?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What if none of that works? I have an app that froze during an update. I tried switching my iPad off and on again, I reset all the settings. I thought that it would maybe start when I update other apps - they all updated alright, but that one particular remains frozen no matter what I do. I have no downloads in iTunes. What else can I do?

Hi there! Welcome to iPF!

There are a few things you also could try:
Change the date on your iPad. Sometimes it helps.
Sign out of the App Store, and then in again.
Set your iPad to Airplane Mode. Power it off, turn it on again and turn off Airplane Mode.

Last edited:

KhamulNazgulTM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome to iPF!

There are a few things you also could try:
Change the date on your iPad. Sometimes it helps.
Sign out of the App Store, and then in again.
Set your iPad to Airplane Mode. Power it off, turn it on again and turn off Airplane Mode.

Thanks for the advice - I tried doing all of what you suggested, after a while, I even tried such crazy combinations as signing out of the App Store, changing the date on the device, switching on the Airplane mode and then restarting the device. Unfortunately, the app is still there, frozen. The weirdest thing is, that it sometimes seems to be working o_O. Also, the device started eating up the battery like a starving grizzly bear :/
Any other suggestions?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - I tried doing all of what you suggested, after a while, I even tried such crazy combinations as signing out of the App Store, changing the date on the device, switching on the Airplane mode and then restarting the device. Unfortunately, the app is still there, frozen. The weirdest thing is, that it sometimes seems to be working o_O. Also, the device started eating up the battery like a starving grizzly bear :/
Any other suggestions?

Try deleting this app and then download it again. Let us know how you go.

KhamulNazgulTM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try deleting this app and then download it again. Let us know how you go.

There seems to be no way to delete it - it still shows up as an icon with the download bar and signals "Waiting"...
I think I hate it even more than that moment when I doscovered that after an update from iOS 5 to 6 my battery started draining way too fast :/
Some people said that it helped when they connected the iPad to a computer and try through iTunes - but since I don't have a computer (I know it's weird :) I'll appreciate any other ideas :)
Anyway, thank you guys for your time and advice!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be no way to delete it - it still shows up as an icon with the download bar and signals "Waiting"...
I think I hate it even more than that moment when I doscovered that after an update from iOS 5 to 6 my battery started draining way too fast :/
Some people said that it helped when they connected the iPad to a computer and try through iTunes - but since I don't have a computer (I know it's weird :) I'll appreciate any other ideas :)
Anyway, thank you guys for your time and advice!

Did you try to delete the app in Settings - General - Usage - Storage (Show all Apps) on your iPad?

Last edited:

KhamulNazgulTM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try to delete the app in Settings - General - Usage - Storage (Show all Apps) on your iPad?

Oh, yes, forgot about that - I did that, and the app disappeared from the list, but the icon is still there on the main screen and when I find it in the AppStore it still shows up as "Installing".

Most reactions

Latest posts