What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App to record audio streaming

tjb201

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any suggestions for an app that can effectively record audio streaming and then be able to save the file to standard set of audio files like mp3?.

I regularly listen to programs through the browser and want to record what is being played through the speakers. The apps I have seen record as part of the streaming through their apps, which is what I am looking for, as it needs to record from wherever the source is.

Thanks!

Tim

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
See if Tunein radio is what you're looking for. You can also set recording schedule.

OP
T

tjb201

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not exactly

Thanks for the suggestion. Tunein does let you record but from streams through their app. I need something more universal that records from what is being sent through the speakers. There are websites that have tracks that I want to record for example.

Thanks,

Tim

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well...havent used this app but have you given soundcloud a try? Its an iphone app but may also work for ipad as so many others do.

OP
T

tjb201

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No luck I am afraid. Thanks again. I will keep my eyes open for any new apps.

Reaction score
Playing music and recording simultaneously does not seem possible as of iOS 4.3.1. Because any playback/recording activity mutes all other apps trying to use the audio device.

So either could you use an app which plays/records at the same time which admittedly doesn't work for websites, or you play music from a different device and just use the iPad to record. There does not seem to be a browser, which supports audio recording.

OP
T

tjb201

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hoping

I was hoping for an app like TotalRecorder that records what is sent to the speakers. I guess I will have to wait or simply record on my desktop and add to my library.

Tim

Vigor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was hoping for an app like TotalRecorder that records what is sent to the speakers. I guess I will have to wait or simply record on my desktop and add to my library.

Tim

Actually the PC based stream audio record softwares much more than ipad based and easier to find one.

DMelanogaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of the apps mention record streaming audio on the iPad. Did you people forget you were in an iPad forum? Obviously there are tons of programs to record audio on a pc. That's not what was asked.

I've been looking for this kind of app too and it doesn't seem to exist, perhaps for the reason the poster said above ... One app would cancel out the other.

Andrew117

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I think a kind of software, Streaming Music Capture, completely meets your demands. It amis at people who want to capture audio with its own recorder through your computer sound card and convert into any formats according to your preferences. Anyway, you can totally do what you want with it.

DMelanogaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no. Streaming Music Capture is not an iPad app. That's what the op is looking for. I'm looking for something like that too. For pc music capture there are tons of applications that do this, many at no cost.

DMelanogaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The original poster wants to record streams from the radio, but I do not, because that doesn't give me enough control. What I do on my pc, and what I'd like to replicate on the iPad, is search for songs that I want to have, generally on YouTube, and record them as I play them. I can do that using Audacity with the "Wave Out" function, or using a number of other programs (all are free, but I'd pay for an ios app). Interestingly, most laptops made today no longer support the "Wave Out" function, and I can imagine you can guess why. (copyright issues)

Most reactions

Latest posts