What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App to read Ibooks aloud

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried turning on VoiceOver in the Accessibility Settings?

-t

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried turning on VoiceOver in the Accessibility Settings?

-t

It will only read line by line, as you tap each line. Not a good method for listening to a book, unless you are desperate.

@ Alexzap; publishers and ebook retailers are in disagreement on the licensing requirements of a reader that takes a text book and reads it out loud. I imagine they (the publishers) think it will cut into the audio book sales, and they are probably right. The result is that only some few books can be read out loud on the Kindle device (not the app), and iBooks appears to have avoided the issue entirely.

There may be other book reading apps that will do it, but I'm not familiar with any.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It will only read line by line, as you tap each line. Not a good method for listening to a book, unless you are desperate.

I can't even turn it on.... It just hangs on all three iPads I've tried.

-t

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a pain, sort of. You turn it on. It warns you that it can't be used with the Zoom feature enabled. Once past that hurdle it gives you a notification about turning it on, and reads it. You try to tap OK, and it tells you OK. Only when you decide to double tap on OK, does it actually start working.

This becomes obvious later, when you touch an icon it reads the icon to you, and when you do nothing for a moment will tell you to double tap to activate the icon. Pretty much everything that was one tap, becomes a double tap. I suppose that makes sense. You don't want to be opening every app just to find out what app it was.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That makes sense. It was operator error all along.... considering the operator was me!

-t

OP
A

Alexzap68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. I turned on Voice over in accessibility settings and by trial and error managed to get it to select and read a whole page at a time. An upward diagonal swipe over the page selects the entire page for reading. It's a bit clunky but works OK.

Most reactions

Latest posts