What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anything for streaming video to a computer over WIFI or Bluetooth?

Maberib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering if there's a jailbreak app that allows one to mirror their iPad screen to a computer's display using WiFi or Bluetooth. I'm hoping that there's a solution that doesn't involve buying an Apple TV.

Cheers,

Ben

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, no, there's no wireless solution right now to mirror the iPad. With iOS 4.3.3, you can wirelessly stream to Apple TV without cables, but ... you gotta have Apple TV. Yeah, iOS 5 supposedly will support wireless streaming and full mirroring, but only with/via Apple TV.

You can, however, use the Apple HDMI cable and the Cydia tweak DisplayOut to mirror your jailbroke iPad to an HDTV. Or, do the K48AP.plist hack and mirror without DisplayOut, just like the iPad2 (you still need the cable, though). See this thread for details on both these options: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/32958-tvout-j-b.html

Yeah, it would be cool, though, to do stream/mirror without Apple TV (and no cables). Just not possible right now.

Marilyn

Last edited:

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did accomplish sort of a mirror. I use AirDisplay and connected to my computer vire wireless, didn't/haven't tried Bluetooth. It uses your browser to connect. I could get the desktop to show on the iPad and could even "slide" an open file over to the iPad while viewing a different program on my laptop. I did what in my field is called realtime. I wrote with my writer to the laptop CAT program which translated the symbols to English. The laptop then was set to send out the transcript to a receiver. In this case I opened the receiver local on a simple program. ISince I wanted to view the CAT program on my laptop, I pushed the other program over to the iPad to view and manipulate there with my BT apple mouse. It was operating more like a second monitor. I couldn't get it to hook up with my desktop as the pixels were too high. At times would be slow respond to any manipulation of the program...like notes or comments to what a speaker was saying, or moving back and forth in the transcript. But it worked. IPad was JB so I could use the mouse. Laptop is WinXP. Had trouble setting up wireless with Win7. Used my router for the pass through.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved this thread into the main section as we want to keep the "Jailbreak Applications & Tweaks" sub-section for specific app/tweak reviews and overviews. The main hacking section serves as a good place to ask questions like these.

Sorry I didn't notice/move it earlier - when I first responded...

Marilyn

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually there is a way.
Mickey, add this to your list. :D

Download veency from Cydia and just use any vnc viewer on the computer to see it. You can even use the mouse and keyboard from your computer to control iPad!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
True dat, Grayson! I forgot about Veency and I don't know why - I've used it! I think I tried it and didn't really see a need for it...for me.

So, there you go, Maberib, you can use Veency (and a VNC viewer on your PC - I've used UltraVNC, which is free) to mirror your iPad to a computer monitor. Sorry I steered you wrong.

Thanks for catching that, graywolf.

Marilyn

Wanders off, muttering to herself about forgetting things in her old age...

Most reactions