What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone using mostly 3G?

Summer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I will be getting my new iPad2 in about another week. Can't wait. I live in a rural area and do not have wifi at home so I will mainly be using AT&T 3g. I was wondering if anyone else is mostly using 3G. I'm wondering how much that will really end up costing me in a month.

Thanks,
Summer

Loraco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do I have wifi but I mostly use 3G I only use wifi if I have to!

Reaction score
It really depends on your usage.

When I was using only 3G for 2 month, I ended up using 15GB/month, though that included tethering.

For browsing the web 1GB/month would be my min., 3GB/month with radio streaming and the occasional news show and everything above depending on how much video is streamed.

Loraco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
k7lvo said:
Just curious, but why do you prefer 3G when wifi is available? Or, am I misunderstanding your comment?

Because it seems to run slow when I have both on so I just use the 3G and I pay for it monthly so so I use it! I travel a lot so I need it!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm the same - I have WiFi at home but I live in a rural area so my ADSL broadband is slow but, by good fortune, I have a 3G basestation on a hill within sight of my house, so I get a better data rate and, since I'm on an unlimited plan, I use 3G whenever I can.

What drives me **crazy** though is the iPad's insistence that it won't download movies, apps or video of greater than 20 MB over 3G. So I have to leave my movies downloading overnight at a fraction of the speed I could get with 3G.

Tim

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, understood. In fact, as I type this I have the wifi disabled because the "high speed" network supplying the hotspot is practically at a standstill.

Tim, I think that limitation is to protect AT&T's network from even more overload. :D :p.

Most reactions

Latest posts