What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone use the magic mouse for the ipad?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello all!

I was just considering getting the apple magic mouse to use for my ipad. I know, I bought the ipad for its amazing touchscreen interface, but sometimes I'd like to use it from a distance. Anyway... Has anyone used this mouse with btmouse, and can you use it with at the same time with btstack (the keyboard)?

What are some pros and cons of the mouse on the ipad? do the multitouch gestures work with it well (like if you pinch to zoom on the mouse will it work smoothly on the ipad; or if you do a four finger swipe will it do the multitouch gestures to switch between apps)?

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Robby,

While I don't have the Apple mouse, I do have the Apple keyboard and a couple of bluetooth mice - which I bought just for this iPad. In my situation, having the mouse and keyboard for the iPad is a real advantage for me for a couple of different reasons, and I can understand your interest. (Some don't, or just won't.)

Yes it works - the BTStack with both the keyboard and mouse at the same time - but.... It's all quite unreliable and takes a VERY specific sequence of steps, often times performed more than once, to get it all running. The native stack is not used during the useage of the BTStack, and will automatically be disabled when the BTStack is engaged.

The BTStack, the Keyboard Selector, and the Mouse Selector are really three separate entities, although the Stack gets installed with the installation of one or the other of the selectors.

The Stack is prone to crashing frequently, and the process of connecting has to be started all over again. The stack, and hense the keyboard and mouse, become unresponsive after a period of time, especially after a short time beyond when the iPad blanks out and goes to sleep. Installing a process that keeps the iPad from sleeping does help, and I'm using an app from Cydia called "Prevent Sleep" - which seems to be performing properly, and has a working toggle for SBSettings.

If you get to a place where you want to actually implement all this, give me a message at my email address of [email protected] and I'll set you up with the particular sequence of steps that need to be performed. If you have to learn what it is by yourself through experimentation, it will drive you crazy.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

(( EDIT )) Oh yes... and you would have to have two mice in order to perform a "Pinch" action on the iPad with mouse. (Oh, ha ha). However, the screen gestures are all still active when touching the iPad as normal. The mouse button functionality is limited to left click, right click, and center-wheel click. Mine are programmed for Select, Home, and (center) bring up the multitask bar. Other combinations of actions can be setup, I believe.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts