What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone scratched their iPad 2 screen yet?

Dr Umfufu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have had the original iPad for a year and during that time I always had a screen protector on it. I now have the new iPad 2 and a smart cover but as yet not put a protector on it. Question is.... How hard is it to scratch these things in normal day to day use? Do I need to apply one or can I just leave it? Anyone out there scratched one yet and regretted not putting a protector on?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Dr Umfufu said:
Have had the original iPad for a year and during that time I always had a screen protector on it. I now have the new iPad 2 and a smart cover but as yet not put a protector on it. Question is.... How hard is it to scratch these things in normal day to day use? Do I need to apply one or can I just leave it? Anyone out there scratched one yet and regretted not putting a protector on?

both iPad 1 and 2 screens are scratch free with no protector, just be careful with what you use to touch the screen with, if you just use your fingers, it will be fine, unless you have diamond coated nails :)

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never used a screen protector with original iPad and had no scratches.
iPad 2 is likewise naked screenwise and perfect to date.
Naked feels great!:D

Tsuintx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Used mine for about a week before putting on a screen protector and so far I don't regret it. No scratches on the screen, but just wanted to make sure there will not be any, either.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question is.... How hard is it to scratch these things in normal day to day use? Do I need to apply one or can I just leave it?

I suppose that's one reason why people use screen protectors: for the peace of mind, and not having to worry about questions like these.

OP
D

Dr Umfufu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Those that don't have a screen protector, what do you do to clean the screen? Micro fibre cloth? Cleaning fluid? Screen wipes? I'm normally very careful with my device so starting to feel that naked might be the way to go.... Always found protectors reduced the appeal of the device somehow...

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always lightly brush off any dust particles with my hand first then a well shaken microfibre cloth which is used only on my iPad.

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, me, well in fact my cat. I think he jumped on it and was not aware my ipad2 was there, he was surprised and ran away and scratched it with one of his 500 nails ;).A scratch of 1 inch in the middle of the screen. It was screen up with the smarcover not on, in my relax chair and it was there for maybe 10 minutes.
I contacted Apple care for a solution (replace the touchscreen) and they send me to a service center. The first service center told me there's nothing they can do about it and to buy a new one ! And the second service center in another town, after i had them on the phone and ask me to email the problem,never responded to my email, now two weeks ago. So, service is very bad, i told Apple care about the arrogance in the first service center, they told me they had more complaints, but everything stays the same. Great service here in Belgium.
I never asked for warranty of course.

Now, i have sold it with a 130 euro loss and i have i new 32 gb now. I was fixated on that scrath, the person who bought it didn't mind.
And now i try to close the smartcover as much as possible.
The screen isn't that scratchproof as some people think, i really take great care of it, but a nail of cat is too much for it.

As some people already said here : i don't know how i could live without my ipad2 anymore. Same here. Only the absence of Flash bothers mee sometimes.

Well, happy ipadding to everyone. :p

Guy

Last edited:

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always lightly brush off any dust particles with my hand first then a well shaken microfibre cloth which is used only on my iPad.

I do exactly the same, but breathe on it to make it damp and then polish it with the microfiber cloth which is extremely soft.

I just wonder, in time, how to clean the inside of the smartcover. It will become one day saturated with "grease" residu from the fingers, right ?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dr Umfufu said:
Always found protectors reduced the appeal of the device somehow...

I'm not quite sure what you mean (reduce the 'appeal' to whom?) but there are different kinds of screens for different needs.

For example, a matte protector (which I use) greatly cuts down on the reflection and glare, and also fingerprints and smudges, which fits my needs perfectly. At the opposite end, a 'mirror screen' filter would turn the display of your iPad into a highly-reflective, silvery mirror when it is off, and the display will appear from behind the mirror when it is on - which is also kind of a cool effect, if that's what people like. And then there's 'privacy protection' filters which will obscure the screen if not viewed head-on, etc etc.

Dyeman12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...Question is.... How hard is it to scratch these things in normal day to day use? Do I need to apply one or can I just leave it? Anyone out there scratched one yet and regretted not putting a protector on?

Just went through this exact scenario and had to share with folks who could understand.

14APR Bought iPad 2 (Black 64 GB, 3G) + Smartcover

20APR Got Switcheasy Canvas full cover for the added protection - great case BTW, I highly recommend it.

06MAY Noticed scratch down left side of screen approx 1/2" in to visible area of screen. No idea how it got there and I am careful with my gadgets. Needless to say I felt physically ill, mad and bummed all at once:( It absolutely ruined my day (and everyone else around me for the morning).

Happy Ending- went to Apple store that afternoon to ask what could be done. Service person stated that it was outside of their 14 day return policy, BUT she could see how it would be quite distracting when watching movies and such. Within 10 min she had a brand new (out of a brown box) replacement activated and in my hand.

I inspected it closely in the store (figuring it to be a refirb) for dead pixels, scratches or any debris under the glass. The replacement was cleaner than my original unit which had a few minor water spots on the inner LCD screen under the glass that could only be seen using a powerful flashlight shining through digitizer glass at an angle. Yes, I am that 'retentive' :D
New iPad has now been sync'd and switched to my data plan- working flawlessly.

Next Step - El Cheapo screen protector from Switcheasy is going on today after I fog up the bathroom to clear out all the aerial dust. Will be ordering the best screen protector recommended from here on IPF.

My thanks to the great posters here on IPF, it was your responses that prompted to go back to the Apple store and plead my case. Makes me think their 14day return policy is maybe a bit longer for damaged items and they are given the leeway to "Just this once" make an exception. Good marketing. I went in all bummed out thinking I would have to live with a scratched screen and left with the beaming smile that goes with a new iPad!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...Question is.... How hard is it to scratch these things in normal day to day use? Do I need to apply one or can I just leave it? Anyone out there scratched one yet and regretted not putting a protector on?

Just went through this exact scenario and had to share with folks who could understand.

14APR Bought iPad 2 (Black 64 GB, 3G) + Smartcover

20APR Got Switcheasy Canvas full cover for the added protection - great case BTW, I highly recommend it.

06MAY Noticed scratch down left side of screen approx 1/2" in to visible area of screen. No idea how it got there and I am careful with my gadgets. Needless to say I felt physically ill, mad and bummed all at once:( It absolutely ruined my day (and everyone else around me for the morning).

Happy Ending- went to Apple store that afternoon to ask what could be done. Service person stated that it was outside of their 14 day return policy, BUT she could see how it would be quite distracting when watching movies and such. Within 10 min she had a brand new (out of a brown box) replacement activated and in my hand.

I inspected it closely in the store (figuring it to be a refirb) for dead pixels, scratches or any debris under the glass. The replacement was cleaner than my original unit which had a few minor water spots on the inner LCD screen under the glass that could only be seen using a powerful flashlight shining through digitizer glass at an angle. Yes, I am that 'retentive' :D
New iPad has now been sync'd and switched to my data plan- working flawlessly.

Next Step - El Cheapo screen protector from Switcheasy is going on today after I fog up the bathroom to clear out all the aerial dust. Will be ordering the best screen protector recommended from here on IPF.

My thanks to the great posters here on IPF, it was your responses that prompted to go back to the Apple store and plead my case. Makes me think their 14day return policy is maybe a bit longer for damaged items and they are given the leeway to "Just this once" make an exception. Good marketing. I went in all bummed out thinking I would have to live with a scratched screen and left with the beaming smile that goes with a new iPad!

Great to hear of the Happy Ending. And, see, Apple's great customer service works because now you've told everyone else about this and probably a lot of people - not all members - who read iPF and were wondering whether or not to buy an iPad will be persuaded that Apple is a great company to deal with and will go out and buy an iPad.

Great customer service always is good business.

Tim
PS - and remember iPF is not affiliated with Apple in any way whatsoever and none of us work for or have any link with Apple. We're entirely independent and tell it like it is; yes, we've been known to criticise Apple too!!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ian russell said:
It's true.

I think if it preys on your mind, cover up.

I haven't got an iPad 2 but I have never put a screen protector on my ipad1. I never do anything with it, that would put it in danger, it is always in the original Apple iPad cover

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Most reactions

Latest posts