What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else notice...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nput and output
Dock connector port
3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
Built-in speaker
Microphone
Micro SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)

Look it has a microphone built in.....thats curious!

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is that curious? There are a lot of uses for it like voice-notes, speech to text, voice-control, etc. The iPod Touch has one as well and we all know the iPad us just a big iPod Touch :p.

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is that curious? There are a lot of uses for it like voice-notes, speech to text, voice-control, etc. The iPod Touch has one as well and we all know the iPad us just a big iPod Touch :p.

Actually the iPod Touch does not have a microphone...that is why it was interesting that they decided to add one!

That was one of my biggest gripes about my Touch.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed, it was a big mistake in the hardware for the 2nd generation iPod Touch not to have a onboard microphone and have to rely on headphone based mics. About as big as not including a camera on the 1st generation iPads. It's annouing when trying to take a voice memory and having to jam in the head phones just to get access to the mic. It is very limiting to the VoIP Apps that run on the iPod.

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed, it was a big mistake in the hardware for the 2nd generation iPod Touch not to have a onboard microphone and have to rely on headphone based mics. About as big as not including a camera on the 1st generation iPads. It's annouing when trying to take a voice memory and having to jam in the head phones just to get access to the mic. It is very limiting to the VoIP Apps that run on the iPod.

I don't think any version of the iPad will have a camera....since the connector is bottom center it would make more sense to develop an iPad version of iChat then sell a webcam accessory. At least you would be able to roll it to use it as a camera as well as a web cam....if they went bezel cam style it would only be useable as a webcam and would potentially get jabbed a lot mistaking it for the home button.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is already fairly strong evinced that the next generation of iPad will have a built in camera. Various Apple repair sites have already reported getting case replacement parts with the extra hole where a camera would go.

I would not mind seeing a Webcam accessory however, mainly to give that functionally to older model iPhones/iPods/1st-Gen-iPads. There are even possible uses for having two or more cams on later model idevices.

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is already fairly strong evinced that the next generation of iPad will have a built in camera. Various Apple repair sites have already reported getting case replacement parts with the extra hole where a camera would go.

I would not mind seeing a Webcam accessory however, mainly to give that functionally to older model iPhones/iPods/1st-Gen-iPads. There are even possible uses for having two or more cams on later model idevices.

well as far as im concerned I don't need a camera on the iPad...I would have liked on on my Touch since it is a pocket device, but it seems silly to have a front facing camera on a portable....you can't use it to take pictures...and I have no need for video chat...so for me it would be useless.

Most reactions

Latest posts