What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else frustrated with App Store?

tburns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are many things about my iPad that I love, but the App store is not one of them. It may seem gratifying that there are so many apps out there, but a lot of them are junk.

The app store is slow to wade thru them page after page, and perhaps my biggest frustration, is that 30 pages in, I find an app that sounds interesting. I click on it to go to the more detailed information page. When returning back to the list, frequently it boots me all the way back to the top of the list and I have to page thru, painfully, stuff i've already been thru. Maybe I am missing something?

This happens even in Genius mode. Also, the Genius mode isn't too bright, and infers way too much from 1 or 2 apps. When it boots you back to the top of the list, it has already forgotten all the things you already indicated you have no interest in. It would be nice if you could select certain apps, especially ones that you have recently installed, but are not likely to stay, because of their low quality, and tell the app genius not to use them when inferring what you like and making suggestions.

The whole app store interface seems clumsy and poorly implemented, not something I would expect from Apple.

More than once the app store app has just quit with no warning.

Anyone else have these issues, or do I have a lemon install or perhaps a hardware problem? How do you find those truly quality apps in amongst all of the steaming piles? I have literally spent hours wading thru thousands of apps, and it is almost enough to sour me on the whole approach.

Maybe iPhone veterans have some tricks up their sleeves that they can suggest, having had to deal with this issue longer?

32 Gb wifi iOS 4.2.1

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I Agree With You, the App Store is very...

...ponderous to use. When I first got my iPad, I read here about an app called Appolicious. It is basically a website/blog and it has users rating various apps and creating a list of their favorite apps. Ironically, from this app, I found an even easier app called AppShopper. This app is what I really like. It helps keep track of all my apps, it sends me notices when apps have been updated, and it gives you the ability to create wish lists.

The AppShopper gives you the ability to sort by genre, i.e., finances versus business, free vs paid, most popular, and other criteria. If you heard about an app, you can search for it in AppShopper a whole easier than going to the App Store.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome Tburns.
So . You found a place to release some steam...

Yes I agree with you most of the Programs are pure junk. One in 10,000 is GOOD.
Many Free ones are also GOOD.

I don't get it.
The proper way to buy an application, is to make a little research first on the internet , by using Google, and forums like this one.
Then, once you know the name of the program you search it in the store.
In Many cases you can find a FREE limited addition. So you download that piece a try it out.
Regarding the "App Store" If you use it for what it is - Downloading, Updating. You will be OK

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't use iTunes, use Google!

My advice is to use Google at the end of you research, not at the beginning. In Google, type something like: iPad, review of music apps, then check out what other people have already discovered. Make a shortlist, then head over to iTunes and pop the app title into search.

iTunes never quits on me unexpectedly. In fact, I quite like it (now), but I never lose sight of it's main aim, viz., to extract money from me.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums. Your point is valid iTunes is at times a bit of a hog but considering it is home for 300,000 apps not to mention music movies etc etc it is still an amazing place. I assume you have down loaded many i pads Apps that are free? I have some 100 plus apps and have been using iTunes since the beginning both for my iPhone, iPods and iPad plus apple tv. Over all with a few expeptions i have no issues with the apps. If i find one I do not like I. Just delete it. I also use the following apps to review what i am buying or down loading. Appshopper, appadvice and iPad apps it is a lot easier than wading through the iTunes store as you put it. It is my belief that the itune store will have a major upgrade in 2011 as it is over due. In saying that your crashing isssues is a surprise as I have neve experienced it. Try holding down the home button and off switch until the White apple logo appears then release. This usually fixes most problems like that. Hope that. Helps

Last edited:
OP
T

tburns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I will definitely check out the AppShopper!

Anyone else have successful coping mechanisms?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Tburns.
So . You found a place to release some steam...

Yes I agree with you most of the Programs are pure junk. One in 10,000 is GOOD.
Many Free ones are also GOOD.

I don't get it.
The proper way to buy an application, is to make a little research first on the internet , by using Google, and forums like this one.
Then, once you know the name of the program you search it in the store.
In Many cases you can find a FREE limited addition. So you download that piece a try it out.
Regarding the "App Store" If you use it for what it is - Downloading, Updating. You will be OK

Sorry how can you make a statement 1 in 10,000 is good Have you downloaded and even viewed that many apps to voice a statement like that..... I don't think so.

OP
T

tburns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums. Your point is valid iTunes is at times a bit of a hog but considering it is home for 300,000 apps not to mention music movies etc etc it is still an amazing place. I assume you have down loaded many i pads that are free? I have some 100 plus apps and have been using iTunes since the beginning both for my iPhone, iPods and iPad plus apple tv. Over all with a few expeptions i have no issues with the apps. If i find one I do not like I. Just delete it. I also use the following apps to review what aim buying or down loading. Appshopper, appadvice and iPad apps it is a lot easier than wading through the iTunes store as you put it. It is my belief that the itune store will have a major upgrade in 2011 as it is over due. In saying that your crashing isssues is a surprise as I have neve experienced it. Try holding down the home button and off switch until the White apple logo appears then release. This usually fixes most problems like that. Hope that. Helps

Thanks. Just a clarification, it is not iTunes that I am having problems with, but rather the iPad application App Store, that comes preinstalled on the main screen of the iPad.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...ponderous to use. When I first got my iPad, I read here about an app called Appolicious. It is basically a website/blog and it has users rating various apps and creating a list of their favorite apps. Ironically, from this app, I found an even easier app called AppShopper. .

TNX
Just Downloaded the Free AppShopper. Looks cool.
The more recommendation programs I get, The better chance to stumble upon a good program.

I just decided , that to day (Christmas) I am going to get 10 new programs.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This will give you some idea what is happening every day with iTunes this is a recent report.
Asymco says iOS users are currently downloading 17.6 million apps compared to roughly 7.5 million songs per day, on average.
As for your issue with the app store Application problem try resetting the iPad and that should fix it.

Happy Xmas

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With all it's warts the iOS AppStore is way better than the original Androd Market. Though Google is in the process of revising it.

Two things I recommend you check into:

1. AppAdvice is an App that provides news and reviews on Apps every day. I've found several great games with this App.
  2. TWiT.tv's excellent "iPad Today." You can find it on iTunes and I recommend you watch the Video version. This is a weekly show and they feature themes in which they discuss many Apps from the same theme in a show.

There ate also some great "Ten Apps every iPad newbie must own," articles here and elsewhere that I recommend.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppShopper is definitely the way to go! I especially like the fact that I can filter for free apps... which is a good thing considering how much I spent for Christmas!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You make millions moderating the forums you could buy all the apps you want ... Happy Xmas Scrooge lol

Wake up wake up col. You are dreaming ...... Paid to moderate. Hahahhahahahah

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That'll be the day!

Cheers mate!

Just past 2:00am Christmas Day here... off to dreamland!

Most reactions

Latest posts