What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else experience a slow iPad?

RapidFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ever since upgraded to iOS 8 especially the latest version safari crashes and Facebook is useless. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes on Facebook I cannot join a conversation. When I try to type there is like a 5 to 10 second delay per letter. It's horrible.

OP
RapidFire

RapidFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just now when I tapped create thread the page crashed and said it needed to be reloaded.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
ever since upgraded to iOS 8 especially the latest version safari crashes and Facebook is useless. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes on Facebook I cannot join a conversation. When I try to type there is like a 5 to 10 second delay per letter. It's horrible.

Just an easy suggestion - when I update or upgrade the iOS on our iDevices, I always do a 'Reset', so if not done give the maneuver a try - if not familiar w/ the process, see the directions below. Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 7.x/8.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time; release the buttons and allow the iPad to 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've also seen recommendations to restore the ipad via itunes to solve this problem. It was more prominent in iOS 8 and 8.1 but 8.2 onward it wasn't much of an issue.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem occasionally appears in iOS 9 beta 4 as well. It appears to be a persistent bug in Safari that hasn't been completely eliminated yet.

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad2 has become very slow too. And to start off, yes I do a hard restart about once a week, generally close apps after using them, don't leave a bunch of apps running in the background keep iOS updated. I'm up to date but it has been slow even before going to iOS 8.

Mostly what is slow is having links open up in Safari. Doesn't matter if I'm clicking something like an email link or already in Safari and clicking to another page. It is as if I have a slow internet connection but I don't. Pages open quickly on my other devices, I stream movies fine, download speed test usually right around 10m down/5 up.

Is it just Safari that has become the pig? It reminds me of how a Windows computer becomes slow after a couple years of bloat.

Texts go fast, streaming videos play fine, etc.

Most reactions